Chapter Twenty Seven

I watch Abe run down the beach and into the churning grey water, fighting my primal instinct to give chase. His body glides over the waves as powerful shoulders work like oars to a well tuned row boat. I turn and head toward Jade's, happy to put the thoughts of Abe in the back of my mind for a while.

Jade and Daniel are out sunning themselves on the veranda overlooking the toddler's beach. Jade is resplendent in an all white bikini with just enough material to be legal. I can see her toned stomach rise and fall rhythmically with each breath in a slow pattern that suggests to me that she is sound asleep.

I stand there and admire the bright yellow hibiscus that are woven through the white posts while terra cartoon pots of red geranium host gorgeous blooms. The sounds of joyous, care-free laughter can be heard as the youngsters are splashed by the rippling waves.

Neither Jade nor Daniel move. Their hands are interlinked comfortably, this lying together is not new to them. I can scent Daniel on her and know that they have mated. My cousin, my best friend, is no longer mine.

I shuffle my feet to attract attention. Daniel shifts instantly, a fierce golden leopard stands before me bearing his teeth. He was caught off guard, now seeing me, he prostrates himself.

"Please rise, Daniel, and thank you for protecting my cousin." I offer as he shifts back.

"I apologize Princess Katalea, this cousin of yours has bewitched me! I did not even scent your approach."

"No need for apologies, I hope we can relax our formalities and just talk. "I have need of Jade's help."

"Katalea, is there news? Daniel and I have been...busy." Jade blushes and giggles.

"Bragging b***h," I giggle back.

Daniel's mouth drops open.

"Yes, girls really talk this way." I laugh easily now.

Daniel moves to leave, "I'll leave you to it then." As he scurries down dozens of steps towards the water, Jade and I howl with laughter.

"Ok cousin." I say, "Please tell me you have found a little time away from your "busy-ness" to complete those reports."

"Yes, hang on." She closes her eyes for a minute and instantly they appear in her hands. I applaud vigorously, I had no idea how advanced she was.

"Can you teleport yourself as well?" I ask.

"Sometimes, but I don't always get to exactly where I picture myself. Once this mate bond thing happened, every time I try, I just end up back in the bed." She smirks, "I guess we know where I'd rather be."

I shake my head, would I ever find myself so entranced by a man? I have heard it is like finding the other half of yourself. The half you didn't know was missing until that exact moment. After that, being without your mate is like being without a limb. Will I ever find this? Should I just settle and join with Abe? Abe comes from a good family and we would make strong Werecats to eventually lead the pride, even if they were not panthers. It is my duty to continue the race, does that mean giving up my chance for my goddess chosen mate?

I shake my head, where had all this come from? I had so much else to focus on, I couldn't allow this distraction.

I take the papers from Jade, who hasn't even noticed my distraction as she is watching Daniel on the beach the way a baby eyes a bottle. I laugh and say my good-byes.

"Better her than me!" I think as I leave unnoticed.

Back in my suite, I sip fresh squeezed lemonade as I analyze the reports. The sweet coolness refreshes my energy and I regain my focus. In typical Jade fashion the reports are color coded, cross-referenced and she has included a flash drive to download all of it to my laptop.

I notice right away that the more magical cats, "The Magi," don't mix often with the warrior groups. Sensing that this could hurt us as a pride I set out to remedy this. I partner up a warrior with a "Magi" and assign all to meet three times a week to brainstorm possible strategies. There are some new werecats that haven't gotten too involved, that has to change as well. It would be all hands on deck for the foreseeable future. Everyone had something they could contribute. We are growing, but if we are to survive as a species, we are going to need to come together..

I find Grandmother busy packing lunches for the soldiers heading to the mainland in the morning. I thank her profusely for sending up the lemonade, she is always thinking of others first. I notice that even doing chores she makes sure she looks the part of an alpha's wife. Her wardrobe says casual elegance, graceful lines flowing in a long cream colored sundress, tied at the waist with a honey leather belt. She has adorned herself with pearls at her throat and wrist. The breeze is blowing off the terrace and the smells of the salt water mix with her perfume. This is exactly how I want to remember her.

We sit and I describe my need to bring the whole pride together more. She offers up a few suggestions, all brilliant. I wonder if anyone else has figured out that Grandmother really runs things.

Lunch will now be assigned seating, all pre-arranged to intermingle us more. Lunch will be mandatory for those cats on the island. I am sure there will be a few raised hackles over the mandates, but I can feel the need for us to depend on one another for survival is almost upon us. Cats typically like their independence, myself included. We all will have to make this sacrifice for the time being. I secretly wonder how many mate bonds will be discovered.

I shake my head at this errant thought. It seems I spend a lot of time thinking about mates these days. I decide that with Maggie and Jade missing in action these days, I have too much time to think. The simple solution will be to train more, grabbing my bag and heading out.

On my way out the door, I grab a quick snack and head to the training yard. Of course, the object of my obsessive thoughts is already here. Abe has his shirt off and is wrestling with an equally sweaty body that I haven't had the honor of meeting. My throat instantly dries as I watch taut muscles ripple and flex. I feel my nether regions moisten and decide to hit the weight room. As a princess, shouldn't I have more control over lustful thoughts?

These lusty thoughts have me lifting more than I usually can. I rip off my shirt, stripped down to my sports bra, and continue to try to purge my carnal needs.

The scent of arousal has the male werecats circling. I open my eyes to find six of the male warriors smiling goofily at me. Dark, sensuous male bodies in different stages of undress all look as if they could devour me.

"Hello gentlemen," my voice warbles. I need to save my dignity if I can. "Thank you for coming to guard me, as your Princess I am honored to be so well taken care of. I have enjoyed my workout with you today. I am quite pleased with your progress."

Standing now, I throw back my shoulders and raise my chin. I pretend that I am wearing one of the many royal outfits Grandmother and I deliberated on with the stylists, instead of a sports bra and tiny cotton shorts. " I have need of protection getting back to my quarters. Can I count on you to see me there safely?"

I had to get out of here. I need to see Maggie about a charm to make them forget what a horny toad their princess is.