Chapter Twenty One

Taken!" I felt panic in my chest. "Taken where? By whom?"

Dakari was one of my best friends, how could this have happened here on the island. Maybe he was just off in town, chasing some girl. I dismissed this thought as ludicrous. It was not in Dakari's shy nature to seek entertainment from the local girls. He was content to wait for his mate and spent his time studying his craft and training.

"He was supposed to be home hours ago. We were having some trouble at the ferry dock and he went across to lend a hand." Mr. Toma explained.

Maggie rushed over to me, "Katalea, I can't message him anymore. He messaged me earlier that he was running late, but he would be back for the coronation ceremony."

"How long has he been on the mainland?" I ask.

"He is there most days, and sometimes sleeps at the inn in town. He has been slowly searching for more of our kind and recruiting those he can." Mr. Kalb said, joining the conversation.

"Have there been many other werecats found?" I asked, this was potentially great news.

"Yes, we have found many small Pride's and even a few decent sized groups. We have convinced most to relocate here. We can provide safety for them, and they can add numbers to our warriors."

"There is a section of our island that was primarily used for hunting. We have started building homes and communities for our new recruits. So far everyone has been wonderful in the mingling of so many Pride's". Mr. Kalb spoke, obviously in charge of this portion of the project.

I could see I had a lot to learn. I was grateful to be surrounded by knowledgeable werecats to teach me. I never expected this on my very first night as Alpha.

"So what is happening at the ferry?" I asked.

"The ferry can only be accessed by werecats. There can be no humans on this island. Last week, two humans managed to get across. About a month ago a whole family was in town having dinner." Mr Toma explained further, "Dakari has become friends with the ferry master and has been doing both jobs simultaneously."

Dakari has been busy I thought. But I guess if he was out looking for recruits it makes sense that he would make friends with the ferry master. I remember how it looked there the last time we crossed. I could understand the long lines and the ID cards out and ready.

We have the luxury here on our island of shifting at will, we use our powers in public with no restrictions. We live without fear of terrifying a human. If this system breaks down it would mean a lot of unwanted publicity and threat of extinction. Humans always want to destroy anything supernatural.

"Dakari reported that the ferry master is competent. He checks every passenger personally for their ID card. The humans think that you need to live here to have an ID card. That works for the moment. He also can scent them in such close proximity. The only way humans got over here was by supernatural means." Mr. Toma said, and another soldier nodded.

"I have spoken to the ferry master, Mr. Arman twice. He is loyal and strong. There is no way someone slipped past him without help."

This was so much to take in at once. The priority right now was Dakari's safety. I tried to think of what Grandfather would do.

"Let us end the party without causing panic. Bring in our best intelligence officers and let's get some theories on the table. ". I said calmly and evenly. It would not do to show my emotions.