Chapter Eighteen

Packing up a life is hard work. I had piles for donation, piles for storage and piles to send to Egypt. Most of the things going to Egypt were weapons. Now, I understood the need for a private plane! How in the world did one ship countless weapons commercially without bringing in law enforcement and their myriad of questions.

I made one last trip to the gym where I had spent my youth. I wanted to give my old leotards away to someone who could use them. Walking in the front door brought waves of memories. Countless hours of my younger years had been in this building. Soaring high days when everything just clicked, lonely low days where nothing I could do was right. Pulled muscles and overworked joints could not compare with the feeling of perfection when you hit a spectacular routine and stuck the landing. I saw Coach, a little older looking but just as passionate, across the floor in the vault area. He was training the next up and coming star when he saw me. He dashed over to hug me fiercely.

"We had quite a run, you and I. I will never understand why you quit in such a hurry."

How could I explain duty to an outsider? A human at that? Could I let him know that the fate of my breed rested on my shoulders? Probably not.

"I just needed to be a kid for awhile," is all I could come up with.

I had never really been a normal kid. For a long time that is all I ever wanted. I wasted so much time on "why me?" Maturity had brought a little wisdom and I now thought, "Lucky me"

I made a big deal of the girls in his elite group. I knew he would have over exaggerated my successes to the point I could see hero worship in their eyes. I remembered being inspired by the girls who had come before me, and I hoped to reach at least one of them.

When you are that invested in a sport you can't think past the here and now. The only thing that matters is progressing to the next skill, winning the next competition. I would use this thought process in my new life.

"I came to thank you for teaching me to focus." I said through tears. I couldn't explain how that skill alone had saved me in Utah, but I could still let him know I appreciated him. "I know I will get through college easier because of you."

I handed him a box that I had wrapped with copies of as many competition fliers that I could find. Inside were all my national team leotards sewn into a gorgeous quilt. It was all I could think of to give him for all the years we had chased the dream across the USA.

"I love you." I said, and I was gone.

I didn't hear him say it back. I didn't have to, even in human form I could feel it. I was so sad to leave this place for good. I stood outside and cried a little, never too far away from the safety of my guards.

One day I would leave a scholarship to a girl with a lot of talent and not so much money I thought. Maybe I could help somebody else chase the dream.

As I walked toward the car, my two enormous body guards walked toward me. They were not happy that I had made them wait outside. After Utah, I never went anywhere alone. After Utah, I didn't complain about guards anymore.

I settled in the back seat and thought back to that last competition. When things had settled down after the dragon attack I remembered to ask about "the shield" Grandfather had mentioned. I remember him sitting me down to explain, always compassionate, always kind, he took the time to make sure I understood.

"Long ago, when you were just a wee little werekitten, you wanted to go back to California. You didn't understand the danger that put you, and all those around you, in. So, we had the most magical families put a shield around all of you in that town. As long as you stayed inside that shield you were hidden away from dragoon's, vampires, or any of the host of creatures that would love to eradicate us. I don't know if you noticed, attacks only happened when you left that shield."

"What about that time at school? I asked, "In my PE class, with the golden bees?"

Grandfather lowered his head, "It was discovered a while later that Dalya had planned that attack. She was jealous of you and wanted some attention. Her own brother turned her in."

"You knew?" I remembered being shocked by this news. "You knew, and yet we honored her?"

"I did not know at the time, and she was dealt with. The Medal of Valor was stripped from her later. It was a great disgrace to her family."

That would explain the lack of persecution from Dalya this last year. I thought she had just matured. It seems that I didn't need to snitch. I can't believe Abe never mentioned any of this.

Snapping back to the present, I was glad all that foolishness was behind us. The Kalb family was a strong warrior family, but not to be trusted completely. In my opinion, the kids always seemed to have an ulterior motive. They were always loyal to the Pride, and Mr. Kalb was one of Grandfather's greatest friend and confidant, but secretly, I was relieved Abe was not my mate.

I had often wondered if he wasn't attracted to me as much as he was attracted to the position I would one day hold. At times, he talked like he was already the Alpha. I knew it was assumed that he and I would rule together. I am beginning to think that he might be the one keeping this rumor going. After our time in the garden I was becoming more sure of it.

My guards and I continued home. I could see the sand dunes where we would run, and the pier where Dad would take us all fishing. As we neared the ice cream shop that fueled my sugar addiction I asked the guards to please stop. One more triple scoop never hurt anyone. I treated the guards to a scoop and we strolled down the esplanade looking in the shops. Everywhere I looked, memories overtook me. With tears in my eyes, I got back in the car.

Dad always just assumed that like my brothers I always had "friends" around to go places with me. He had no reason to suspect that my male "friends" were actually paid guards. Derrick and Darius were so handsome it was easy to see why girls clung to them. I was just an average girl.

The boys at the high school had never paid attention to me, until the last year. I never knew if this was because Dalya had eased up on me or if being "Abe's girl'' did the trick, but suddenly the boys kept swarming. This may have been the only drawback to graduating early, I was enjoying the attention.