Chapter Forty Eight

She moaned and turned, her head hurt and she was parched. Peeking under eyelids seemingly plastered shut she saw Dakari tending a small fire. Memories of their escape came flooding back, feelings of radiant joy at the thought of getting away, then quick and utter despair at seeing Essam on their trail again. What was fuzzy was how it all turned out. How did she come to be camping in the forest with Dakari? Did they not get away?

Dakari glimpsed movement out of the corner of his eye and rushed to Lainey's side. Her arm was straight again, the bone seemingly healed overnight. Well, over two nights he thought. He watched her thrashing about, moving her leg in her effort to get free of the covers. He remembered the unnatural position she had landed in and thanked the goddesses she seemed to be fine.

"Don't talk, just drink this," he whispered to her and lifted her head. He had brewed a restorative tea and had been keeping it warm with the heat of the crystals.

She drank it down in one long swallow and looked around for more. She smiled, tilted her head and said, "Got any food?"

Relief swept through him, he cried out in joy, he wished he could shift so he could roar. Not wanting to scare her, he forced himself to calm. With a goofy grin he turned to her, "We've got rabbit stew."

She wrinkled her nose, but hunger overtook her. "Thank you, I'm grateful."

He helped her to sit up. As soon as she began moving her body had more important needs than food, and he helped her find the door. She walked fine, he noted, a little skip in her step even.

She hurried back in, full of questions. He spent the better part of an hour walking her through all that had happened, all the while she sipped the soup. When he stopped talking she was looking up in amazement. Her eyes weren't on him, however, and he followed her gaze. A faint green glow had appeared over the horizon and he joined her, now mesmerized by the display.

They sat in hallowed silence as the green whisp of color began to billow and dance. As they watched, another stream, somehow brighter, somehow greener stretched brilliantly across the sky to form a dazzling rainbow. Hues of greens without names played with the wind. It seemed to be performing to some heavenly rhythm, nothing mere mortals could comprehend. As they watched a faint magenta color, deep, dark at first began to join the celestial composition. It lightened to a fluorescent pink bringing hints of orange to what appeared to be an homage to the heavens.

"Is that?" She started but could not continue.

"I think so," he answered, "The Northern Lights." His voice was reverent and they spoke no more. The sky erupted in a solar explosion, hot white light filled the sky and it appeared to shake with the fission of electricity. Dakari and Lainey sat huddled together watching until the first lights of dawn chased away the nighttime miracle.

The others awoke to see Lainey and Dakari staring at the fleeting lights. Maggie grinned wide and shook Penny. "It looks like somebody is awake!"

Penny got up with a burst of energy, bright smiles for her young passenger. She was grateful to see that none of the injuries seemed to be bothering her, "And it looks like the crystals fixed her up, good as new!"

Introductions were made all around. Lainey, suddenly shy in Maggie's presence, told of her time in the dragon's lair. In awe of her bravery Maggie tried to put the girl at ease. Teasing Dakari seemed to do the trick and before long the two had the others in tears at Dakari's expense.

Penny, charmed with Lainey's accent, steered the jokes to family. Lainey instantly grew quiet and looked down at her hands.

"Will I ever get home? I miss my Mum and Dad." Tears sprang from her eyes and she looked like a lost puppy.

"Of course, sweetheart," Penny soothed. "It's early yet, we might make it there today."

Lainey's tears dried, then started again, this time in overwhelming joy. She reached out and grabbed Dakari's hand and he pulled her into a giant bear hug.

Excitedly she gushed "Will you come with me? My parents are never going to believe my stories unless you all come and show them." She saw them glance nervously at each other. She thought a minute and frowned, her eyebrows furrowing. "I can't tell, can I?"

"Let's not think about that just yet, where do you live? Let's think about getting you home first!" Penny said, the joy coming back into Lainey's eyes.

"Plymouth," she answered. "On the edge of Devon, right next to Cornwall." She sounded like a schoolgirl, reciting for the class.

_______________________________

Katalea slept fitfully through the night. At one point she woke with dreams in vivid greens, wild bouncing lights all around. The next she woke to screams of terror inside her head she thought it was Dalya in the next room and ran to check on her.

Dalya sat head between her knees and rocked. She too had been having dreams. A giant of a man with long wavy black hair was calling her. He wore no shirts and his bronzed abdomen stirred her juices. She didn't know where to find him but it was urgent that she search. Could it be possible with all this upheaval she would find her mate.

Today was the day they would memorialize her father and banish one of her brothers. It was no wonder that she felt sick to her stomach. Even though she had slept all night, the vividness of the dreams caused her to wake up tired and horny.

Her eldest brother Joseph had reached out to her through email. He had gone off to college early, and been back less than a handful of times. He was the exact opposite of what their father had wanted in a son, kind and compassionate. He played three instruments, sang like an angel, but never once took up the Tahtib sticks.

His email was quick and to the point. He would not be back for the memorial. He had cut all ties with his feline heritage and wasn't interested in renewing them. Dalya shed a tear for the family she never really had. She wondered what it would have been like if her mother was still alive. No one ever spoke of her, for she had died when Dalya was just a baby, but sometimes Dalya longed for a bit of female love and attention.

Rushing into Dalya's room Katalea watched as Dalya rocked herself. Not wanting to intrude, she backed away and went to help downstairs. If the memories of her ordeal were starting to come back, Dalya wouldn't want someone to witness her in a moment of weakness.

As always, the kitchen was bustling and under Grandmother's supervision no help was needed. Katalea took her tea out on the terrace and found Grandfather talking in hushed tones with Farsi.

"Ah, here is Katalea. Let her make the final decision." Farsi said.

"Is there a problem? You two look very conspiratorial." She gave them both a questioning look and sat to hear the latest problem.

"Your Grandfather and I feel that Abe should not be able to be in attendance at his father's memorial. Some of the soldiers feel we are being too tough on him." Farsi said, sounding tired.

"He was very close to you Katalea, what do you think?" Grandfather put in.

Katalea knew this was one of those times where she would have to lead with toughness. So many were waiting to see if she had a weak spot for Abe. They didn't know her, they didn't realize how many historic battles she had studied looking for flaws in the losers strategies. Most times battles were lost when emotion or overconfidence entered the picture. Katalea could afford neither.

"Send him on the first ferry, alone. I want no one to know he is on it. Take his ID card and part ways with him on the mainland. He can take the clothes on his back, and nothing more."

Grandfather smiled, His girl was hard as nails when she had to be. The goddesses had chosen their Black Panther well.

Farsi left to carry out her orders, and Grandfather walked with her up to her room. He embraced her on her terrace as they watched Abe being led from his house to a waiting car. He had on a hoodie and sunglasses. His hands were tied together in front, lest he try to escape. His prideful face turned up and looked in her direction, as if he knew she were watching. A lone tear slid down her face. There would be no more.