Untitled Part 22

I took the police report back to my room. By the time the sun started showing signs of life over the horizon I was very familiar with the case. I knew I wouldn't be able to leave the island, but I wanted to show support to those who would. I grabbed a light sweater and headed to the docks.

As I approached the soldiers all dropped to one knee.

"Please rise." I said, "It is I that come to honor you this day. Be tireless, and bring Dakari home!"

Everyone cheered, the mood was confident. As the ferry departed and became a speck on the water, I walked back to the house.

I requested breakfast to be served on the terrace and waited for Grandfather to join me. He was accompanied by Mr. Kalb, Abe, and a very worried looking Mr. Toma. I was glad I had ordered so much food.

"Gentlemen, good morning." Everyone nodded. "Do we have any news?"

Abe spoke first, "Nothing new has come in, but the soldiers just left." Why did he suddenly sound patronizing?

I filled them in on my talks with Jade. I was glad to see approval in Grandfather's eyes at my tactics.

I want to send a search party north if Dakari isn't returned tonight." I said.

"It would be dangerous to enter the weredragons territory without an army Katalea." Mr. Kalb reasoned. Again, patronizing. This was unacceptable. If my own inner circle looked down at my orders, how would the newcomers see my leadership?

"Why don't we use drones from just outside their land? I think Dalya would be great to be in charge of this." I said thinking back to the drone attack.

Grandfather finished buttering his muffin and nodded his head. "Why don't you and Abe go talk to her about it? Have a plan ready to go just after midnight if nothing has changed." I knew he meant if Dakari wasn't home, but he didn't want to say it again.

Abe and I walked in silence once we were outside. He pulled me over to a marble bench and asked me to sit.

"Five minutes, Katalea, please." He begged.

"We really don't have time for personal conversations right now." I said. He could toy with my emotions so easily. Why did he have to be this attractive?

I won't waste any time then." He went on, "I want another chance, I messed up."

I looked at him waiting for an insult, or a backhanded compliment. "I don't know, I think I just want to wait for my mate."

"That's the thing," he argued. "We don't know if we will ever find our mates. There are so few of us, it might be impossible. I thought for sure you would be mine. I love you. I have loved you since we were kids."

I thought back to the times he was there for me, helping me hide from his sister, even turning her in for attacking me. He has been by my side for so long. I just don't trust his motives. I know I would do a lot of thinking about this in the days to come.

"I don't know how I feel Abe. I'm sorry. You really scared me that night in the garden, I haven't gotten past that yet. I don't know if I can." I tried to explain but he had tears in his eyes. Big, strong, sexy Abe Kalb was tearing up over me!

"Can we at least be friends while I earn back your trust?" He pleaded.

"That we can do." I smiled. "Now, let's go find your sister." I never imagined myself actively looking for my previous persecutor.