Chapter 9: Thanksgiving Plans

Zak

 I love sleeping next to her. She's a great cuddler, she doesn't kick or snore, and she's warm.

 She decided to let me drive since she was tired and got up earlier than normal this morning. We stopped by her house and she ran in to grab her school bag and we left.

 She was still asleep when we got to school.

 "Danni, wake up. We're here." I told her.

 She wakes up with tired eyes and grabs her bag from the back seat and exits without saying a word.

 Weird.

 I race to catch up to her because she's a fast walker. It must be because of her short ass legs.

 Does that make sense? I'm not too sure.

 "What do you have first-period?" I ask her.

 "Auto," she replies with a yawn.

 "You take auto?"

 She nods. "I was told by one of my friends, who already graduated, to take the class so I can have knowledge on my car and not get scammed by automotive technicians who just want your money."

 "Makes sense. Maybe I should take that class, I already know quite a bit about cars but nobody wants to get scammed."

 "You wouldn't get scammed even if you didn't know shit about cars. The majority of those mechanics are sexist. Since you're a guy they'd assume you know about cars and since I'm a girl they'd assume I know nothing about cars."

 "Are you sure? I've never heard of that."

 "Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't happen."

 "That is true."

 "Anyways, I'm gonna head to auto."

 "Okay, I'll see you at health."

 "Mhm."

 We part ways and I head to my first-period math class.

 Caleb comes and sits right next to me.

 "Why is Danni wearing your hoodie?" He asks, taking the seat.

 "She slept over last night and she didn't have any clothes for today so I let her borrow mine," I answer him, getting my notebook out and prepping for the class.

 "Your tutor slept over at your house?" I nod. "No way!"

 "Why's that surprising?"

 "You guys barely talked before she became your tutor and now you're saying you slept with her. That's gotta be a lie."

 "We didn't do anything, we just watched a few movies and ate McDonald's."

 "Oh. Did you want to?"

 "No."

 "You're lying."

 "And you're getting on my nerves."

 "You like her," He states accusingly. I give him an uneasy look. "Oh my god, you actually like her."

 I just roll my eyes.

 "You're not denying it."

 "I'm not confirming it either."

 "Yeah but if you didn't like her you'd be denying it."

 "Ugh, whatever."

 "You know I'm right."

 After he finishes his sentence class starts right away and I've never actually said it out loud but I realized I maybe do like her and if I'm just her friend I'll be happy with that.

 If we could end up being more, I'd be even happier. I'm a patient person so I'll wait.

 When I head to fourth-period lunch I get a text from my mom telling me to call her when I can.

 Normally, we never talk on the phone so I'm nervous to hear what she has to say.

 Maybe they're coming back for Thanksgiving this year.

 Once I get my food, I head into the hallway to give her a quick call.

 "Hey, Mom, what's up?" I ask once she answers.

 "Hi Honey! How's school going?"

 "It's going..."

 "Okay, well I hope you're trying your best. Listen, your father and I won't be able to make it home for Thanksgiving but I can promise you we will be there for Christmas." I frown. They always do this.

 "You promised you'd be here for Thanksgiving yet you didn't keep that promise so how can I expect you to keep your promise for Christmas."

 "Zak..."

 "No, it's whatever. I'll see you in December, maybe."

 I end the call and start sliding down the wall. I bring my knees to my chest and put my elbows on my knees. I sit there with my head in my hands.

 Do they not love me?

 I don't understand. I get that they have to work a lot but they both don't have to go all the time.

 They could at least try to show that they care about me. Even if it's sending a text message every once in a while.

 I normally only get holiday messages from my mom excluding birthday messages, I kinda think she forgot when my birthday is, and I get nothing from my dad.

 I'm not even sure if he wanted kids or not. I think the only reason he had me was so that I could take after the family business once I'm eighteen.

 Which I don't want to do.

 Once I calm down a little I st-

 "Zak?"

 Oh shit.

***

It's been a while. And I do apologize.

But it's finally here.

The only reason I take auto at my school is because of the sexist auto mechanics

I've actually learned a decent amount about cars though.

So I actually just started watching Gilmore Girls and it is definitely one of the better shows I've watched.

Just started season 2 but we're going strong 💪

822 words.