Chapter Ten: Seeing The Unseen

With pure utter shock, Jack and I see what appears to be Queen Ariana and King Fredric making themselves look young again with an old yellow flower. It doesn't make any sense. We sneak back to our rooms as quickly and quietly in silence and try to sleep. But after hearing what Jack said, I couldn't sleep. 

       How could I? He basically told me he loved me without wanting to say it. And it doesn't help that I literally threw myself at him like all of those other girls. Eventually, after falling asleep, I dream of how things will be once he heads back to school and I have no proof Jack said he loved me. And he didn't so what am I supposed to do? It's lunch, and I find myself at my lunch table with Edlyn and Ariel, and it seems like we're just having a nice conversation. 

I see Jack sitting down at a table near me, so I think it's a good idea since we're on good terms to say hi to him. I walk over with a smile on my face, and he just glances at me before looking away. Does he act as if I'm not even there? 

"Jack," I call.

Ignore.

"Jack," I call again.

Ignore

"Jackson!" I yell. 

The room goes quiet, and Jack gives me a dirty look. And looks away again. Who does this guy think he is? I cannot be in this situation again. And I know for sure who holds the car in this relationship. 

"What?" He rolls his eyes. "Can I actually help you?"

"You better fix your face before I fix it for you Jackson. And watch who you're talking to like that."

"What are you going to do about it?" He laughs.

"Jack, what is this? I thought we were past all this? Why are you acting like this?"

"Like what?" He looks at me. I should say he looks through me. "This is how I normally am. So if you don't like it, good for you."

"So you're going to act like everything we've been through was nothing?"

"Bitch, I've only known you for like 3 weeks, and you're acting like we've been together for 7 years. Look, don't take it personally, but I knew you were fine, but all that work I had to put in just to get it in, wasn't worth it. So when you're done wasting my time, you can leave." He says. 

       Tears fill my eyes and roll down my cheek. How could he say that to me, after Corona, as if it never happened? Why would he break my heart after he promised me he'd be the one to put the pieces back together? I should've known he would go back to his old ways. It's my fault for thinking he was going to try to be a better person, if not for me then for himself. But I was wrong. I leave the caf alone, and with tears in my eyes.

       I close my room door, throwing myself onto my bed. I open my eyes to an unfamiliar bedroom, on a very soft bed, in a pool of my own tears, with the sunlight pocking through. What kind of dream was that? Was that a warning, and why after all of what happened yesterday? I can't handle this. I get out of bed and get ready for the day. As I get dressed, I find myself wondering how exactly I'm supposed to face Jack after such a dream. I head down to breakfast, and he's already there. He smiles at me.

"Elsa, hey." He smiles.

"Hi." I look away.

"You okay? You seem a bit off?"

"Me? No, I'm okay don't worry about me." You know, because I had a dream that you were playing me like a cello. So that was fun. 

       Just as Jack is ushering me over to sit next to him, Edlyn enters the hall. Perfect timing. I feel like a bad person because he's actually trying and I'm being distant. But what would he do if it was him? I know he's wondering why I didn't sit next to him, but I just can't. 

"Um...is it just me or does something feel off in here?"

"Yeah, I'll fill you in later," I pull her to the side and whisper. "but first, I cannot sit next to Jack, so please do me a solid. Please."

"Really? I thought you guys worked it out?" she groans.

"Come on Punzel, please?"

"Fine." 

       After breakfast, I tell Jack I have to talk to Edlyn alone, and thank goodness the doors or walls aren't paper-thin. I pull her into the living room and whisper. 

"Okay, so after convincing me to go on a walk with him, he confessed his feelings towards me, by saying he loved me, but not in those words. So...we started making out, but get caught by your parents but not really, and have to run back to our rooms. I dreamt that this whole thing is a play, and when we go back to school, he's gonna be his old self again, and tell everyone that he played me like a cello." I say quickly.

"First of all, you need to talk to him, and if anything, just record him, that way he can't say he didn't do it. Now go back to the part about my parents." She narrows her eyebrows. "Now get back to the part about my parents."  Suddenly there's a knock at the door. Jack.

"Dude..." Begins Edlyn.

"Shut up." He interrupts. "Elle I think we should tell her about what we saw last night."

I nod.

"We saw your parents singing the same song you sing when you brush your hair in the morning to some old yellow flower, and then inhale the power and become young again. It didn't make any sense." I say.

"I don't know what's happening with your mom and dad, but we need to go. Now." Jack adds.

Edlyn's Pov

I can't believe what I'm hearing. My parents would never. Do that. It doesn't make any sense. For a moment I sit there unsure what to say, but then it hits me. Who's the one person that I know who used the power of the flower for that exact purpose? 

 "Aww, you can't go yet." My mother's voice calls from behind us. "We're only just getting started." Jack, Elsa, and I run upstairs, grab our bags, and reconvene in my room. 

"Come back, I just want to make sure you're not going to tell anyone!" Queen Ariana shouts.

"I'm really hoping this isn't who I think it is?" I worry. Moving my bed. 

I pull up the floorboard and we take the hidden stairs down to the secret passageway. In the passageway, we run out the back, looking back luckily not seeing anything. Am I crazy or did Mother Gothel's magic grow? Or I just never really knew how much magic she truly had.  

Jack scoffs. "No wonder you grew up in a tower."

"I was kidnapped." I defend in between breaths.

"Whatever you say, princess." I suddenly stop realizing something.

"Those aren't my parents,"

"So where the hell are they?" Elsa jumps in.