Chapter 1

Everybody's got the power. They don't see it 'cause they don't understand ~ Heroes by Alesso

I walked the familiar path through the woods. The trees stretched above me, reaching toward the sky. I knew exactly where the path started and ended and every place in between. But what I didn't know was who would be waiting for me when I reached the wall.

He stood about six feet tall, had brown hair and blue eyes, and there was a glint in them that just screamed he got in trouble a lot.

"Who are you?" I asked, I'd lived here all my life but never had I seen this person before and no one could ever survive on the other side of the wall.

You see, I live in a giant dome, the people inside call it Clearwood though, it was put up about five-hundred years ago because of an acidic explosion.

When he spoke it seemed like all the birds stopped their tune to listen. "I could ask you the same question." How is voice seemed to reverberate off of every tree in the area.

"Fair enough," I held out my hand, "Isabella James."

He grabbed my hand in a firm handshake, "Ethan Carter."

"What are you doing here? I've never seen you before and Clearwood isn't exactly a big city."

"I'm not from here."

"Wait, what?"

"Clearwood's government is wrong. Outside of your guys' little dome is not all acid. There are other towns and other people."

"So, we aren't the only ones left?" I asked, still unsure.

I was about to ask him why the government would keep something like that from us when I saw the light of a flash light.

"Cover for me?" the boy asked.

I smiled, "Sure Outsider."

He dove behind a bush.

"Isabella! I thought we told you not to come here anymore," the guard said.

"You did, but you knew I wouldn't listen when you said it so I don't know why you bothered."

He sighed and I followed the guard back to my house. That night there was only one thing on my mind.

Ethan Carter.