𝐗𝐗𝐈

𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄: 𝐖𝐞𝐢𝐫𝐝 𝐟𝐥𝐞𝐱, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐤𝐚𝐲

When we walked into the party itself, it seemed as though everyone else had places to be, places to see, people to talk to, and we were just here for the upcoming action. I was already tempted to go towards the bar where we stood, but Kate knew me well enough, now, and had a strong enough grip on my hand to tell me no.

"I don't see my mom yet." The girl said as she glanced around.

I glanced around the room myself, taking in it all. Fancy and formal was an understatement. If this was the norm for Kate, Clint was right- we are in the wrong business. "Why don't you tell me what you do see?" Clint asked her. "What are our assets, what are our threats?" 

"Mmm. Threats? That guy." She nodded across the room, and I looked over, listening. "That's Gary." He was arguing with one of the waiters about how they'd been handing out champagne like their life now depended on it. "He fired me from one of the only jobs I ever had." 

"Fired you?" I asked her, looking back and forth between the two. "Can I go over and talk or-" I was already moving away but she pulled me back with our intertwined hands. 

"Nononono-" She began. "Stay, I'd rather you not start a fight." Kate said to me, making me roll my eyes as I stayed where I was. "Assets? Well, we have those all over the party." She wasn't wrong, either. LARPers, all around the room, all there to help us at this... party. 

Then, someone caught my eyes. "Is that...?" It was. Jack. He was already out of prison and happier than ever. HA! That's a Billie Eilish song- 

"Wow... Jack's out of jail already." Kate murmured, bringing me back from my thoughts of music. "Nothing phases that guy." 

"Love that he's got a sword with him." I murmured. "Makes him look more innocent when he's wielding what he was thought to use in a murder." 

"Maybe it's just his way of proving he really is innocent?" Kate asked the two of us, but Clint pulled a face.

"Weird flex, but okay." I murmured, reading his mind. 

"Take this-" Clint handed us both earpieces as we subtly found our way closer to the bar. "Stay on Coms, okay?" He tells the two of us. "No... making out." He said, while I took a sip of champagne before nearly spitting it out. 

"Okay-" Kate said, not really listening as she put the earpiece in.

"I'm gonna take a lap." And he was gone, leaving the two of us. 

I finished the glass and left it on the side before I felt Kate pull away from the bar for us to take a lap of our own. "Maybe she cancelled." I say to the girl as we walked around, her arm around mine. But she only shook her head.

"Do you see her?" Clint asked us on coms. 

"No, we haven't seen her yet." Kate replied to him. But, that really didn't last too long. Eleanor walked in, a minute or-so later, all ready for this party. Time to ruin it! 

"We found her." I tell Clint before Kate speed walked towards the woman she called her mother. I followed on behind, but instead, looking around in every direction as Kate did so. 

"Kate, hi-" She didn't even get a look at me before Kate took hold of her arm. 

"Mom, come with me." She told her firmly, practically dragging her mom along. That was when Eleanor saw me, and looked back at Kate with a confused stare, but her daughter didn't care. We walked through a corridor, or five, and then down staircases until we found somewhere actually safe. The basement- in the kitchen where food was still being prepared.