Chapter 6

Erin

I turned onto 86th street. Jeff, the owner of the bar, invited me for a call back.

I opened the wooden door to the dim lite bar. The bartender from before, greeted me. The atmosphere in the room was different. I guess it was the lack of people, way different from the last time I was here.

I made my mom FedEx me, my guitair that I left at home, and a brought it with me today on my audition.

“Is Jeff in?” I asked to the barteder. He nodded, then went into the back. Moments later, Jeff and the bartender emerged from the little whole in the wall office.

“Erin, right?” Jeff greeted. Holding his hand out.

“Yes.” I took it and shook it. 

“Well, let’s get this thing started. There’s the stage, show me anything you want.” He told me.

I went to the stage and plopped my messenger bag on the floor. Then took out my guitar. I sat on the stool in front of the mic. Jeff sat at on of the round tables in the front. The bartender brought him a gin and tonic.

“Whenever you’re ready.” He said, taking a sip of his drink. 

I tuned my guitar a little. The took a few deep breathes.

I never thought that you would be the one to hold my heart

But you came around

And you knocked me on the ground from the start

You put your arms around me

And I believe that it’s easier for you to let me go

You put your arms around me and I’m home

How many times

Will you let me change my mind and turn around?

I can’t decide

If I’ll let you save my life or if I’ll drown

I hope that you see right through my walls

I hope that you catch me cause I’m already fallin

I’ll never let a love get so close

You put your arms around me and I’m home

Jeff put his hand up, like he was some American Idol judge. I stopped anyway.

“You have the job, be back here at 9. You’re off at 10.” He said, getting up and grabbing his drink.

He went back inside his little office. The bartender started clapping.

“Nice!” He complimented. I thanked him. I stood up and packed away my guitar. I brought the guitar and my messenger bag over to the stools. 

“I’m Seth.” He introduced, as he wiped down the bar.

“Erin.” I introduced myself.

“Would you like anything to drink?” He offered.

“Nah, I think I’m okay.” I responded, getting up to leave.

“It’s on the house.” He added. I stopped.

“I guess one little beer won’t hurt right.” I said, sliding back onto the bar stool.

**

I walked out of the elevator and onto my dorm floor. I got to my door and walked in, dropping my messenger bag on the floor by the door and placing my guitar on the couch.