Chapter 21

“Erin!” Chris yelled pounding on my door. I sat in the middle of my living room with my back facing the door.

“Erin, come on. Don’t be like this, please.” He continued. I drew my knees to my chest and sighed. He kept banging on the door.

“Fine, if you want to act like a bitch then go ahead. Be my guest.” 

Act like a bitch?

I jumped to my feet. I rushed over to the door and flung it open. “I’m a bitch now?” I asked.

His eyes went wide. “Um, no. It’s just you’re acting like one.” He mutters.

“I’m acting like one. Well cool. I’ll act like a bitch all by myself.” I reply, slamming the door on his nose, and locked the knob. He knocked on the door again. “Erin!” he shouts. 

I walk into my room and slammed that door shut too. I peeled off my dress, and threw it onto the hamper. 

I stalked towards my bedside table and yanked the draw out. On top of all the clutter sat a clear bag filled with a white powder. I grinned at myself and dumped the powder onto the bedside table top. I searched for a razor in the draw, and pulled a sharp edged blade. 

I divvied up the powder into thin white lines. I bent my head over and inhaled the substance. The powder went straight to my brain and I fell into my cocaine bliss.

**

I walked up the sidewalk into the auditorium. I have to attend Mrs. Arrington’s class, and I am not happy about it. Then again, who is ever happy to go to class?

I went through the door and felt the warm air melt the thin layer of ice off my body. I took my seat where I usually sit, and then shrugged off my coat. I pull out my notebook and rest it on my lap. I doodle across the front.

Mrs. Arrington was late again, making tardiness a regular thing for her.

A body stood next to my seat. I could tell by the shoes who it was. Wheat colored Tims ran along the size-12 feet.

He took the empty seat next to me and stared at me. His black eyes bore into the side of my head. “You’re not talking to me?” He asked.

I stayed silent and looked down at the notebook in my lap.

Frank sat next to me. “Hey, Erin. Hey, Chris.” Frank greeted. 

“Hi.” Chris and I replied. Chris took his arm and draped it around my shoulders. I shrugged his arm off. He stared down and me and raised one eyebrow. I looked up at him through the corner of my eye.

“I guess I could use the silent treatment. It gives me a break from your mouth.” He states. I my eyes shot up at him. He chuckled, and then burst out into full on laughter. 

“I’m joking.” He tried to assure me. I didn’t need assurance, I needed an apology.

I scoffed and then got up. “Where are you going?” Chris asked, pulling on my hand. I snatched it away. 

“Don’t touch me, Chris.” I gritted. I moved across the auditorium and into a new seat. 

“What’s her problem?” I heard Frank ask. I plopped down and crossed my legs.

Some girls behind me stopped talking when I sat, but they started saying obscene things. 

“Looks like trouble in paradise.” One of the bitches said. A strong accent fell into my ears. The other one giggled loudly. I gritted my teeth and tried to not flip out, but what she said next got me.