Chapter 3

Erin

I opened my eyes to blazing New York sun. I looked over at the alarm clock that didn’t ring. 7:40. Shit, my first class was at 8. I hopped out of my bed and into the shared shower. I came out go dressed and ran down to the parking lot and waited for the free bus for students.

When I got to the mini auditorium, I jogged into the building and took 2 steps at a time trying to get to my class. I glanced at my watch, 8:13. Shit.

I tried to silently open the auditorium door. I pushed the door into place, without making much noise. When I turned around everyone’s eyes were looking at me. My messenger bag slid down my shoulder to the floor.

“Late person, what is your name?” My professor spoke. Her English accent rang through the auditorium, the last word echoing off the crème colored walls.

“Erin Pittman.” I replied. I blushed, embarrassed at myself. I slung my messenger bag back on my shoulder.

“Well, Ms. Pittman, we don’t take kindly to tardiness at Juilliard. So, the next time you are late, stay wherever you came from. Understood?” She asked. I nodded, too afraid to speak.

“Take a seat, Ms. Pittman. Oh and I’m Mrs. Arrington. ” I scanned the room for a seat. I strolled down the aisle, every single pair of eyes were on me. I passed these two guys. One was yellow skinned, with tattoos on every single spec of his body. He smiled showing off his dimple. The guy next to him was darker than the first guy. He had a red and white stripped bandana wrapped around his forehead. He smirked at me. His gap interrupted his perfect teeth.

I picked a seat closer to the stage, but a little off to the left.

“Well, apart from the digression,” She spoke, looking me directly into the eyes. “I was saying that I would like to hear your voices. You can sing whatever you want. Just wow.”

“Ms. Pittman, since you were the last one in, how about you go first.” Mrs. Arrington volunteered me.

“Umm I’d rather not.” I responded.

“It’s not a request Ms. Pittman.” She answered. I blew air out of my mouth then walked up to the piano. She sat down in the front row.

“Ms. Pittman the stage.” She directed.

“I can’t use the piano?” I asked.

“I’d rather hear everyone acapella.” She replied. I bit my lip, the ascended the stairs to the stage. I dropped my bag down, and then took my spot center stage.

I chose to do something classic and something everyone would know. Probably even Mrs. Arrington.

Oh, say can you see

By the dawn early light.

“Ms. Pittman, would you like to try something more modern maybe.” My professor interrupted. A few snickers came from the students. I noticed Director George sitting next to Mrs. Arrington, he chuckled a bit.

“I would think that The Star- Spangled Banner has become modernized. I mean we dropped most of the poem and we only perform the first stanza. Plus, we perform it everywhere, every sporting event we attend, someone is singing the national anthem.” I explained.

“Very well then.” She succeeded. Director George winked at me, and mouthed “You got this.” 

I took a deep breath and began signing.

O say can you see by the dawn's early light,

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,