Chapter 11

More days ticked past, and George did all he could to ignore Dream's presence entirely. If it bothered Dream at all, he didn't mention it, but George wouldn't have expected him to. He didn't really care if Dream was suffering, as long as he did it quietly.

George was finally starting to feel better, and each day the pain in his side seemed to subside a little bit more. And while the pain in his chest lingered, that one was much easier to ignore.

But George was starting to feel restless, he hated being cooped up in the safe house like this. He didn't even know what day it was, each day seemed to blend into the last and it was slowly driving George crazy.

He stayed in bed late that morning, and when he finally did decide to kick his blankets off with an exasperated sigh and head for the kitchen, he couldn't help but notice how strangely quiet the house seemed. He had expected to see Sapnap upon entering the kitchen, but the room was empty, just like all the other main rooms of the house had been.

There was an unwashed plate and a knife by the sink, and George huffed out an annoyed breath. While Sapnap was good at cooking, he was terrible at cleaning up after himself, and so George knew the dishes belonged to him. But he decided to clean them up anyway, and with a shake of his head, he made his way over to the sink.

He turned on the water and let it run hot, and while he focused on washing the plate, he barely even registered the footsteps entering into the room. But he could feel eyes on him, and when he looked over his shoulder, he saw Dream studying him from the doorway. It was the first time he had seen him in days, and George turned away quickly to roll his eyes. He was so tired of having to guess which version of Dream he was dealing with, and he really wasn't in the mood for it today.

"You seem disappointed to see me," George heard Dream's voice from behind him.

"Very perceptive," he scoffed quietly, and then stated, "I was expecting you to be Sapnap."

There was no response for a second, but then he heard Dream move further into the room as he spoke, "Sapnap's not here."

At this, George's hands stilled, and his brow furrowed in confusion. Sapnap was always here, because there was no where else for any of them to go.

Reading his confusion, Dream continued, "he went to go visit Karl. He said he'd probably be back by tonight, possibly tomorrow morning. He wanted to tell you, but you were still sleeping."

George stared down at the soap covered plate in his hands. He didn't know what to do with this information, because it meant that Sapnap had knowingly left him alone with Dream. Suddenly, the house felt a whole lot smaller. Sapnap was always their buffer, and without him, George was worried about what he'd allow himself to say if Dream provoked him. He had never been the best at controlling the words that spilled out of his mouth, and Dream was more or less the same way these days.

Exhaling a breath, George moved the plate under the stream of water and finished rinsing the soap bubbles off.

"Something wrong, George?"

He could practically hear the obnoxiously smug grin in Dream's voice, and as he placed the dish in the drying rack, he muttered back, "nope, everything's great."

He heard Dream hum quietly from somewhere behind him, but he refused to turn around again. Instead, he reached for the knife that lay near the sink and began washing it to keep himself distracted.

He heard quiet footsteps again, and inhaled sharply when he realized that Dream was now standing right behind him. He was close enough for George to feel the warmth of his body, but not close enough for them to be touching. It was the only thing he could focus on and his hands stilled again, eyes dropping to watch as Dream reached past his shoulder to turn the faucet off.