Chapter 8: Old Habits are more Comforting than they should be

Sarah's POV: 

I was always a tad clumsy. But that was totally fine. Broken bones were no match for werewolf super healing. 

Annie still insisted that I had to get a splint though. I felt so awful about scaring that poor boy. I had only meant to jump out at Annie. But all I managed to do was frighten a stranger and get an earful from Annie about it. Talk about a bad first impression. 

She assured me that the guy, Ryder, wasn't going to care, but I wanted to apologize to him anyways. I almost questioned the way she affectionately referred to him as babe, but knowing Annie, she called nearly everyone by a loving nickname. It's been so long since we last spoke, but she was still the same as ever. She did say she found her mate though, and she was going to introduce him when we finished up from the hospital. 

I was so excited to meet the hunk that won Annie's heart. It was obvious from the dreamy look she got from just thinking about him that she was hopelessly in love with him. How cute!

I wanted to know how Teddy was doing though, and the moment she stepped away to go to the bathroom, I gave him a call. He hung up horribly fast, and the only thing stopping me from calling back was that he was probably angry with us. 

We just left him behind without a second thought. 

"We should be done soon," Annie's voice broke me out of my thoughts and I immediately grinned at her. My dad was going to throw a fit when he saw my hand. Hardly a few hours here and I've already injured myself. 

It didn't hurt much, and it would heal soon. No problem at all. 

Her house wasn't far from the hospital, and I sent my dad a quick text saying I'd be spending the rest of the afternoon with Annie. We easily fell back into old habits, slipping back into old conversations and remembering old inside jokes. It was really fun catching up with her. 

I knew she wanted to know more about why I had come here, but that was a hard subject to touch on. Luckily, we arrived before she could question me further. 

Her mate opened the door for us. He was a fairly handsome man with curly auburn hair and pale, freckled skin. 

"You must be Sarah," he smiled warmly, and I grinned, shaking his hand. "I'm Colby, Annie's been really excited to finally see you again." 

"Nice to meet you. And same here, I could hardly wait!" They led me into the living room where the boy from early sat on the couch. 

He was much better looking right side up. He had dirty blonde hair, and a small scar on the left side of his thick eyebrows. He had tan skin, which vastly contrasted his electric blue eyes. 

"I am so so sorry about earlier!" I cried out. 

"You already apologized," he dismissed, slouching further into the couch. "I'm Ryder."

"I'm Sarah!" I smiled, glad that Annie was right about him not caring much. 

"So what's got you coming here to Springfield?" Colby asked, holding out a glass of water for me. 

I tried to not let my expression give away anything. 

"My dad remarried, and my stepmom lives here." I replied. Technically, that wasn't a lie, but the whole truth didn't matter. 

"Well, I'm glad that you all decided to move here, because I haven't seen anyone from our old pack in like years! Have you gotten your class schedule as yet, by the way? It would be so cool if we had classes together! School started like a month ago, but trust me, you didn't miss much." I grinned at how excited Annie was, and how her short attention span easily rerouted our conversation so I wouldn't have to dwell on that too much. 

"I'm supposed to get my class schedule on Monday morning, but yeah, I'd love if we shared any classes."

"Even if you don't, you can still eat lunch with us," Ryder replied. Annie glanced at him before nodding ecstatically. 

"Sure!" I smiled. 

I could feel tension leaving my shoulders the more time I spent here. Annie, Colby, and Ryder were all such fun people, and I was glad I was making friends already. 

This new life isn't going to be hard. I can do this.