Chapter 31: Why Do I Even Care So Much About Sky Fluff?

Ryder's POV

It was obvious Sarah missed her old home with how fondly she spoke of the memories she had there. And Goddess, if I didn't think she was cool before, I definitely did now that I knew she was some sort of athletic superstar. 

She explained later on that the ice skating competitions she partook in were very lowkey and nearly everyone got a grand prize because there were only about three or four pairs that competed every year. But still, the fact that she was able to retain that title for six years in a row was still extremely impressive. 

None of us pried any further though, because even though she didn't act like it, it still seemed like it would be a sore subject. Anyone would be upset about leaving behind a life where they repeatedly won first place in a town-wide competition. 

I wondered what it was like. What snow felt like, and what she looked like on an ice rink. I could hardly imagine any of it. I had only ever known this city, where I was born and raised. And the temperature hardly fluctuated by a few degrees here. 

How cold was it where she used to live? Did she need to wear those thick woollen parkas in the dead of winter? Or was it just chilly enough that she only needed a light sweater?  

I had only ever thought of snow in passing, a random thought that flitted through my head when holiday movies showed a white Christmas. But Sarah liked it, so it suddenly seemed so interesting now. 

Maybe we could go roller-skating together. Maybe she could show off her skills. She seemed happiest when she finally got to gloat about being a boss at the claw machine, and she had never looked so pretty before that moment. 

She looked like she had finally let loose, like she was finally free, and I only hoped she could show more of herself as she fully settled in to this town. I had no idea what it was that was holding her back from being so carefree and joyous, but I was glad she could forget about it for even that short moment. 

Hopefully, I could be the one that makes her forget all her worries. She was my friend, even though we hardly knew each other. And I cared a great deal about the people I called my friends. 

But something in me didn't want to be friends. And not in the way where we stopped talking and hanging out with each other. I didn't want to be friends with her in the sense that I wanted to be more. I wanted to be special to her. 

But there was no way I could ask her out. She had literally just moved here not that long ago. She barely even settled in yet. I didn't want to pressure her with the idea of romance when she clearly had so many other things to worry about. 

That didn't mean I had to ignore my feelings, though. I'd just wait. I can wait. Hopefully. 

I'll help her get accustomed to this town, and to me. First, I'll develop our friendship. And I'll build on from there. 

So far, I knew she was good at ice skating, and liked hanging out with her younger sister to discuss colouring books. She painted instead of doing homework. She liked hanging out with Mrs. Viv so much that they carpooled together to school and back as often as possible and she even skipped class to hang out in her office. She was so proud of her twin brother for being smart enough to get into a special school, but she still missed him loads. 

And that last thing I knew is she had a Danny. I didn't even know who Danny was, but I'm hoping they're nothing more than friends. It didn't seem like she was dating him, but then again, no one asked. 

I didn't want to ask her out until I had confirmed that she was single. Because if she was taken, then asking her out could mess up our friendship. And even if we never ended up dating each other, then I still wanted to remain friends. 

At the end of the day, I only wanted to see her happy. It'd be great if I was the one that got to make her happy, but if she needed other people for that, then I'd try not to be too bothered by it. 

I left the princess plushie she gave me on my bedside table. It looked kind of silly among the dark blue bedding and car posters. But at the same time, it looked like it belonged there, in some type of way.