Chapter 1: No Room for Memories in a New Life

Sarah Lily James' POV:

He didn't once turn around. Teddy left the car without ever looking back, and I really wanted to hate him for being so apathetic. But I could never hate Teddy. Not even after what he did.

We were twins for goodness' sake, and he couldn't even say goodbye properly?

It was his fault that we had to leave town. I get that I can't blame him for not coping well with our elder sister's death, but he didn't have to assault a teacher over it.

No mom, no older sister, and now no twin brother. My family was practically falling apart. But I'm not gonna let it. I'll make sure to be someone my dad and younger sister can rely on. Our new home is going to be a new chapter in our lives, and I won't let anything ruin it. 

"Lily, Nicky, we're here," my dad's voice roused me from my sleep as the car slowed to a stop in our new driveway. I looked out the window and smiled at my new stepmom, waving at us from the front porch of my new home. 

Everything was new. New me, too I guess. 

Nicky quickly undid her seat belt and rushed out the car to run into Vivian's, my stepmom, arms. My mom died shortly after Nicky was born, so she easily attached to Vivian as a motherly figure. I really liked Vivian too; she made dad happy, and that was all that mattered. 

Teddy didn't care for her much, but he didn't care about a lot of things much. I guess it was a good thing he was living far away from us, so that he wouldn't have to deal with so many unwanted things in his life. I just wish he didn't have to live in some juvenile detention centre. He didn't belong there with those kids that were actually bad. Teddy was merely lost and alone, not some delinquent. 

But Teddy wasn't in my life anymore. And I have to let that go. I'll see him during the holidays. I can wait until then. Hopefully, he can, too, without doing anything that'll worsen his situation anymore. 

I shook my head to clear my thoughts as I helped unpack the car. Dad didn't want us thinking about Teddy too much. We had to focus on our new life. Among the humans.