06

CHAPTER 6: BREAK-UP
March 11, 2018
Rionne's POV

"Rionne!!!!" Is it really required to shout my name? Bruh, all eyes are on me now, and I hate it. I immediately use my hand to cover my face and continue walking in the hallway that leads to the room of my first subject.

"Yah!!!" I flinched when Cara placed her hand on my left shoulder and screamed at the same time. Damn, my poor ears!

"Why do you have to scream!" It's fucking 7:30 in the morning and she's out here shouting my name the moment she places a foot inside the university. Now, I'm the one who is embarrassed  of her actions.

"What?! After you left me like that? What do you expect me to do?" Oh, right. I forgot about her after Summer dragged me to the park yesterday. But what's the deal with that?

"Go home?" I'm just kidding aside, but this girl take everything seriously as she huffed and glared at me. Istg, her eyes are blazing and I think, any minute from now we will be in hell, joke.

"Thank you for paying the food, but after the commotion, Hailey came." As much as I hate Hailey, Cara hates her too. Hailey and Cara were best friends before, but everything is different now. It took one mistake to make our friends turned their backs at Hailey.

"Did you talk to Hailey?" She slouched her shoulders and sighed.

"Yeah. She was there the whole time and couldn't approach me because I'm with you." There's still a hint of irritation in her eyes and voice, but what she can't conceal is her longing for her old best friend and I couldn't ever blame Cara for that.

"So?" Cara gestured her hands, signalling me to come inside the room. Maybe she noticed too that we are staying too long in front of our classroom.

We sitted on our usual spot. We are in the middle column, Cara in front, while I'm behind her.

"She said the same shit again." One sentence, which only mean two things. It's either, 'I'm sorry' or 'I don't have a choice'. Hailey becomes a broken record after realizing that she fucked up. After our break-up she chased me for a week, begging me to come back to her. But, no. I was too wrecked by what she did, that even if I still love her, I just can't afford to swallow down her mistake and return to her like nothing happened.

My first subject is done, so I decided to stay in the garden to take some air and maybe to smoke?

I scanned the whole place and I spotted someone sitting on one of the benches. It turns out that it's Summer. Right, I didn't saw her in our first subject earlier. Should I approach her or not?

Maybe not now, Rionne.

"Rionne!" Too late, I was about to leave.

"Hey!" I greeted her back and returned a simple smile.

Summer patted the empty seat beside her, so I sat there. It's awkward, fuck. What should I say? Shoud I even have to say something? What the hell, I'm overthinking because of this shit.

"You looked like you're having a duel with your inner self right now, Rionne." There. Although, I may appear like an idiot, atleast I made her laugh.

"Atleast you laughed." I can see in my peripheral view that she smiled. A real smile, this time.

"I broke up with him." Woah. I looked at her with wide eyes, 'cause I'm not expecting her to open up to me.

"That's a good choice, Summer." She hummed then closed her eyes. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my time, scrutinizing her features. She has almond-like eyes, cute nose— what was that, Rionne?! If anyone sees me, they would think I'm a pervert!

Summer being in a relationship never crossed my mind. Plus, the fact that their relationship is toxic, like what happened yesterday. Her boyfriend was touching her legs without considering how Summer might feel about it. Who knows at what extent could her boyfriend do if I didn't interfere.

I may not know how deep their feelings are for each other, however I know that if you truly love someone, you wouldn't do such things to them. Love don't work like that. Being in a relationship doesn't mean you can do anything you want to your partner, you still have to ask for their consent. You have to fully respect them.

"What about you? Why were you crying that time I bumped into you?" Ahh, that day when Hailey showed up at the narrow part of the university.

"Let's just say, one of our professors confiscated my cigarettes?" She rolled her eyes while I'm grinning at her. I'm glad though, she stayed silent after that. Because I still can't bring myself to talk about it. Not yet.

What's for sure is, there will come a day where I will be able to drop all of these heavy baggages i've been carrying for a while now.

𖧧 ───━
WE LOST THE SUMMER
by @mydahlia_