chapter 3 :: sabito

WARNING this chapter contains the following:

foul language, slight mature content. 

Author's note: the breathing technique that will be mentioned and used from this chapter forward was created by PuppetFactory. Credits to their creativity. I'm merely changing a few things here and there to adapt to the story, but the entire idea itself belongs to them, so feel free to check them out!

The Demon Slayer Corps has around several hundred members.

It's an organization unrecognized by the government. Yet, it has existed since ancient times, and we continue to hunt demons today.

But as for who's leading the Demon Slayer Corps, that remains a mystery.

Demons. Staple food: humans!

They kill humans and feed on them.

No one knows when and where they first appeared. Their physical prowess is remarkable. Wounds heal in the blink of an eye. Flesh is restored after being hacked off, and limbs can be newly regenerated. Some demons can shapeshift. Others have otherworldly powers. They can only be killed by sunlight or by decapitation with a special sword.

The Demon Slayers battle the demons with their own mortal bodies.

Since they're human, their wounds are slow to heal, and, once lost, their limbs don't grow back!

Even so, they battle the demons... to protect other humans.

If there was one thing Tamashii Fujiwara was known for, it was her stubbornness to prove herself in incredibly stupid ways. Not only was it a pain in the ass, but it was also annoying considering the fact that the girl refused to listen only to come back whining and complaining moments after.

But there was no stopping her, and Urokodaki believed it was stupid.

"I'm a trainer," he had explained to the two. "I literally train swordsmen. There are many trainers, and each of them train their pupils with their own regimen in their location. To join the Demon Slayer Corps, you must survive the Final Selection process held on Mt. Fujikasane. Whether or not you're eligible for the Final Selection is up to me."

They nodded. To Tamashii, the words sounded like a bunch of mumble jumbles, but Tanjiro was nodding along so she did the same to prevent the man from assuming she was an idiot. They already had a bad start as it was.

Before they started off on the training however, Urokodaki had stopped them both.

"You two will train separately," he said, much to her dismay. "You're close, a little too close for my liking." Jerk. "You especially," he turned to Tamashii. "Depend on others too much. If you're going to become a Demon Slayer, you must be able to fight for yourself in the face of danger. Demons aren't going to wait for you to gather your wits to attack. Innocent lives will be in your hands, Fujiwara. If you wish to become stronger, you must learn on your own."

"No fair," she grumbled under her breath. "You're doing this on purpose, aren't ya?" Something smacked against the back of her head. Turns out Urokodai had a stick, which he'd brought along to discipline them, or more specifically, her.

"So what if I am," he responded coolly. "Tanjiro is already in progress. Come now young lady, we have much to discover."

As it turns out, the training she was about to undergo was not easy to adapt to as she'd hoped for. This was going to be a long year of hell.