chapter 6 :: accompanying a demon and her brother

WARNING the following chapter will contain

foul language, implications of harassment, murder and mentions of blood.

The pale blue haori with wave-like patterns along the seams fit her perfectly. She stared at herself in the mirror, her expression filled with surprise as she turned to look at herself from behind. In the corner, Nezuko peeked out at her from the sheets, her eyes shining curiously. Her wine-colored hair lay against her shoulders, and in a way it almost resembles Nezuko's when she was once human.

"Well," she smiled tightly, turning to face Nezuko. Her arms extended as she struck a pose. "How do I look?"

The girl nodded her head and gave her a thumbs-up, which she took as a good sign. Sighing, she glanced at the mirror for one last time before she tied her hair back into a low messy ponytail before exiting the room.

Tanjiro looks so cool, she thought, glancing at the boy with his green and black checkered haori. They made eye-contact and the boy smiled, causing her to look away just as quickly. Really, really cool...ahh, am I jealous?? No, I don't think so... still though, she looked at him for a moment and smiled slightly. Argh, stop thinking too much into this.

Shaking her head, her attention landed on the odd box sitting on the floor. She cocked an eyebrow and knelt closer, knocking against the wood while Urokodaki spoke to Tanjiro.

"It's a box for you to carry your sister around in during the day," he was saying. "It's built of an extremely light wood called 'cloud mist pine'. I coated it with rock lacquer to reinforce its exterior and make it more durable."

"Cool," she breathed, beating her hands against it like a drum. "Ooh, it sounds funny too. Nice, hey Nezuko," she leaned back against her heels to look at the girl peeking out from the covers. "You should check it out. It's fun."

Urokodaki scoffed, slapping her hands away as Tanjiro opened the box to allow his sister to enter. "It wasn't made for you," he retorted, slapping her hands each time. "You're 14, act like it."

"What if I don't want to?" she responded. "Ow―ow―ow―Urokodai!!" She whined as the man pulled at both of her cheeks, stretching them comically. "Ow―shorry―shorry―staph―"

He released her face with a snap sound, and Tamashii scooted away from him as she rubbed her now sore cheeks. She stuck her tongue out behind his head and quickly turned once he turned to face her, feigning innocence.

She watched Tanjiro close the door to the box and followed him outside. Urokodaki stood just outside the doorway, about to send them off.

"Oh―" she snapped her fingers and pushed past the old man. "I forgot something, wait here for me, okay?" She didn't wait for an answer as she ran back inside, going through the sheets before finally finding the thing she needed. Satisfied, she ran back through the doorway where Urokodaki was adjusting the top button of her friend's uniform. The old man turned to face her and sighed in exasperation. "Hey, don't look at me like that," she pouted, placing the object in his hands. "It was for you, jeez."

It was a letter, or a scroll to be specific, neatly folded and tied with a piece of ribbon that she'd found at random. She gave the old man a sweet smile and bowed, her hands clasped before her in respect.

"Thanks for everything, Mr. Urokodaki," she said, raising her head. "You're a great old geezer―"

"Tamashii!" Tanjiro scolded.