chapter 24 :: a new mission

WARNING: this chapter will contain

foul language

"How are you feeling?" Shinobu questioned. "You're late. Didn't I say for you to see me once you were through with yesterday's training?" She smiled, removing the bandages wrapped around her stomach and gesturing for the girl to allow her shirt to fall. "I'm disappointed. You don't seem to follow orders, do you?"

"I'm fine, thanks," Tamashii replied sarcastically. "And I was busy, alright? Why do you gotta keep scolding me like that? I'm not a little kid you know!" She yelped when the woman reached out, flicking her forehead slightly. "Ow! What the hell?"

In response, the Hashira merely shook her head and turned towards her table. She reached out for a cup and somehow, another bag of collected blood. While she poured the liquid inside, she continued to speak. "You are a child in my eyes," she said, placing the cup in her hands. "And I don't mean your physical or mental health. I'm referring to your 'ability'." She watched the girl gulp the liquid down with ease and smiled slightly. "Do you still feel an immense hunger...or has it stopped completely?"

The girl wiped her blood-stained lips against her sleeve, much to the elder's annoyance and placed the cup on top of the table. "I mean, not really?" She shrugged. "I still feel hungry even when I've eaten a lot, if that's what you're wondering. So I'm guessing this whole drinking blood thing has to keep on continuing. If you're referring to whether or not I'm hungry for human meat, the answer is no. I still don't wanna eat anyone. I get tired easily but I've always been like that so it doesn't matter. And uh...yeah, that's it."

It would seem that she was satisfied with her answer, and Shinobu turned to write something in her notes, nodding to herself. Once she was through with that, her attention redirected to the girl and she clapped her hands.

"Well then, that's all for your training," she said sweetly. "I'll be sure to keep track of all your strange developments, and I'll let you know when I've learned anything...." She smiled eerily. "Interesting. You can leave now."

So much for that, Tamashii sighed and stood to leave. So I guess we still have no fucking clue as to what's wrong with me. This stinks.

"Oh, before you leave," Shinobu called out to her. "About your Siren breathing." The girl turned to glance at her. "If you wish to know more information, I'd suggest you speak to the Water Hashira, Giyuu Tomioka and the Sound Hashira, Uzui Tengen, since the technique is based off of the two of them. I can always put in a word with them if you want?"

She nodded and the woman waved her off.

"Thanks!" she shouted as she closed the door behind her. "That's...helpful." She sighed once more and turned to the cat rubbing against her legs, and a small smile returned to her lips. She crouched and scratched the cat's head as it purred and retrieved the letter attached to it's back. It disappeared once more, and she could hear its soft paws tapping away down the hall.

Tamashii,

If you're reading this, then by all means you have already received my letter. I'm sorry I wasn't able to send this sooner: we had a bit of a difficulty trying to locate you.

I hope you all are in good health.

Now formalities aside, I'd like to give you some information I've recently discovered. I hope you recall about the blood sample I'd taken from you before.