chapter 13 :: something precious

WARNINGS: this chapter will contain

foul language, mentions of violence

"So hold me tight one more time, but don't kiss me goodbye...."

Her feet seemed to move on their own. Nameko was still stuck in a trance, his body stiff.

"....'Cause I know that I'll see you on the other side..." She aimed her blade towards his neck and swung her sword gracefully. The demon's neck fell to the floor and the hypnotizing trance he was in was gone, snapping him back to reality.

Confusion dawned on his features for once, and his eyes widened as he looked at the girl's standing figure.

"How...how did you―" he stumbled on his words. "You're....you shouldn't have...how could you...it's not even possible!! You can barely hold your sword right!"

She shrugged, watching as his body began to crumble into dashes. Her head ached and she wondered what that 'vision' she had just witnessed was about. "I don't know," she admitted, sheathing her sword. "But I do have an answer to one of your questions: on why I'm so quick to get angry for another person's life." She paused, tilting her head back for a moment. "It's because...it is my duty as a human to protect another, even if it costs me my life. It's not something that should be surprising because...we're the same, y'know?" She smiled slightly. "Protecting another person isn't something anyone should be surprised about. It's just your duty, from one human to the next."

The demon's lip parted, as if he was about to say otherwise. But his words were never heard, and she watched as his head turned into ash as well.

My entire body hurts, she thought. Her feet wobbled as she made her way towards the door. She grabbed onto the wooden frame to stop herself from falling over. Especially my head...urgh, I'm so tired. Her breathing was becoming more and more difficult, and it felt like a heavy weight was sitting on her chest. Shit, why didn't Mr. Urokodaki tell me using that damn fifth form would affect my breathing? My ribs are sticking into my lungs, I think I'm gonna die. She winced as she tried to level her breathing and walked in the left-hand direction, using the wall for leverage to help her move. Zenitsu, Tanjiro, I hope you're okay...

Her ears twitched once more. She could hear the distant sounds of the drums beating in a constant rhythm. Just as quickly the rooms around her changed and she found herself falling to the opposite side of the room. She winced and slipped into an empty room. The room continued to twist and turn, throwing her body around like a rag-doll. However, it seemed that Fate took pity on her. The door that led to another side of the room was opened, and she found herself falling past multiple rooms. Eventually there was a brightly lit opening, and Tamashii found herself landing face-down on the dirt.

She groaned and rolled over onto her back. Honestly, the amount of bruises that must've multiplied since she entered this mansion was going to affect her sooner if not later. She hated it.

Ah, I'm outside again, her chest moved with heaves despite the immense pain that followed each time she took a deep breath. She placed her arm over her eyes and squinted in the sunlight. I survived, would ya look at that? My body still hurts though.... She sighed and forced herself to sit up, eyes on the mansion. Tanjiro...Zenitsu...please be okay...

"Step away from the box and fight me yourself blondie!!" A gravelly sort-of muffled voice interrupted her thoughts. She winced from the loudness and turned her head to the scene, and her weariness was quickly replaced by anger and annoyance.