chapter 9 :: the temari and arrow demon duo

WARNINGS: this chapter contains

foul language, mentions of blood

Is that a temari? She just attacked us with a kid's toy? She frowned, attempting to raise her head to get a better look but was forced back down by Tanjiro's hand on her head. She scowled, making eye contact with the boy for a minute before glancing in Yushiro's direction. Did Muzan send them? I mean, it would be possible considering the stuff that happened before... She frowned, squirming slightly in Tanjiro's hold in an attempt to free herself. The boy's grip around her head tightened and the two stared at each other. Let me go you damn idiot!

No! Stop being so stubborn Tamashii, now is not the time!

Sparks fly between the two, but the sound of Yushiro's voice yelling snapped them back to the current situation at hand. She turned her head in time to witness the temari smash through the demon's head, blood splattering over the wall.

A look of horror crossed over her features, and she hid her face away in the crook of Nezuko's shoulder out of fear and panic. She felt the girl pat her head in comfort and she tried to swallow her fear. It's okay Ama...it's okay, he's a demon, he's not dead yet― She took a shaky breath and dared to raise her head again. Lady Tamayo held on to the decapitated body despite the constant onslaught of the temari balls flying around their heads.

With the help of Nezuko, she struggled to her feet, reaching for her sword and side-stepping Tanjiro. Her vision was hazy, but eventually she could make out the demon's figures in the distance, their laughter filling the air.

"Nezuko, take the lady sleeping in the back somewhere safe outside!" Tanjiro ordered his sister. The young girl nodded, about to head off when Tamayo called her back.

"It's too dangerous outside!" she yelled. "We have a basement, so please take her there."

"And don't get hurt," Tamashii told the girl. They made eye contact, and Nezuko tilted her head slightly, her eyes closed as if to say that she could trust her. A small smile twitched on her lips as the girl ran off, "I'm counting on you Nezuko!"

With the girl gone, she turned her head towards the demons, her eyes narrowed.

"A demon slayer wearing hanafuda earrings~" she crooned, the balls bouncing with her rhythm. Tamashii's eyes widened slightly, stepping forward, her blade gripped tightly in her hands. They're after Tanjiro...gah, that Kibutsuji must've sent them! Shit, this is bad.

Cocking an eyebrow, she called out to the demon, "Got an issue with that?" She ignored the surprised looks she was given by the group, and even the demon looked a bit taken aback by her opening her mouth to speak. "Hate to say this, but if you're coming after him, you're gonna have to go through my dead body first, dumbass."

The temari demon's surprise faded,her lips twisting into a sinister smile. Giggling, she turned her body slightly to the side, her head tilted to the right as she eyed the girl up and down for a moment, her eyes locking onto the haori she wore. "And a girl with a pale blue haori, right Yahaba?" She turned to her partner. "Isn't that what he said?"

"His exact words," Yahaba remarked snidely. "Was to bring him the head of the demon slayer who wore hanafuda earrings," he hummed. "And to bring him the girl who wears a pale blue haori that accompanies that demon slayer alive." He grinned. "Yes, those were his words, Susamaru. Or are you forgetting things again?"

This time Susamaru scoffed, the sounds of bells chiming filling the air as she caught another one of her balls. She turned her focus back to the two demon slayers, both with surprise written on their faces. The two made eye contact for a while and nodded, their stances ready at a moment's notice.