chapter 21 :: what a reunion

WARNING: this chapter will contain

foul language

Dearest Tamashii,

As I'm writing this, I've already received word from Tanjiro about your 'supposed' demise. At the moment I've also received Tomioka's letter as well, so I'm both confused and tired.

What have you gotten yourself into this time? I always knew you were a troublemaker but I didn't think you would cause this much trouble in the corps.

As it stands, I still don't understand what has happened. Giyuu has told me that you are alive and well, and that there are some interesting changes that have happened to you. I don't know what these are, but I'm praying that you are alive and that you are well.

And if you are, you will be in so much trouble when we meet again.

Tanjiro's letter says you met your doom by a demon. If you are deceased, then I give my apologies. I'm sorry I wasn't a better teacher to you, and I regret allowing you to enter the demon slayer corp and thus sentencing you to your demon.

I don't know what to believe. I just pray that you're well, and when you do see this letter that you write back immediately.

There are many things I wish to say, but right now wouldn't be a good time.

If you're alive, my dear, please write if you can. I'll be awaiting your reply,

Sincerely,

Urokodaki.

She closed the letter and placed it onto the bedside table, making a mental note to write back to her master as soon as possible. She eyed the clothes Shinobu had left out for her, flushing lightly as she recalled the woman insisting she bathe to check for any other injuries that might not have healed.

Currently she was a holder of 45 bruises and 17 cuts, which sucked because when they began to scab she couldn't help but poke at them and thus caused herself to bleed with another open wound.

"I'm guessing your regeneration works with serious injuries," Shinobu had said. "Like your broken neck for example. Minor injuries like bruises or small cuts will probably heal in their own time."

"I'm not calling you a liar Miss Shinobu," she replied. "But well, if that was the case, then how come this―" She'd pulled her leg forward and gestured towards the scarred mark where the temple demon had bitten. "―wound I had two years ago wasn't able to heal on its own? It doesn't make sense."

"Maybe your body wasn't prepared at the time," the Insect pillar shrugged and dumped a bucket of cold water over her head. "Now hold still, your hair stinks. When was the last time you washed it?"

At least the clothes were comfortable, and they fit her perfectly without it being too tight on her body. She stared at herself in the mirror left in her room and fixed the last button. Feeling satisfied, she decided that she would go look for the woman to remind her about the promise she made of more treats. Almost a week had passed since their conversation, and although she wouldn't think they were close, the Insect Hashira promised her treats if she could run tests on her, and she'd agreed for the sake of free food.

If I remember right, Shinobu says that they were here at the butterfly estate as well, she thought. She walked through the corridor, arms crossed behind her while she peered at the various rooms she passed. I wonder if I should talk with him... She frowned. Would he be happy to see me...or would he be mad....