chapter 20 :: shinobu kocho

WARNINGS: this chapter will contain

foul language ,, mentions of blood + drinking

"Your story is so boring," the Sound Hashira (Ubayashiki called him Tengen) complained. "It lacks flair and pizzazz. Let's just kick her out already."

"So you're saying...that this is the first time this has ever happened to you?" Shinobu asked. She frowned slightly. "And up until this time, you truly had no idea about this?"

"I guess...there were some signs?" Tamashii muttered. "I...I used to fall over on my feet a lot when I was a kid....but even though the injuries looked severe they just ended up being minor. And I guess...I did have a thing for blood―" She caught herself, realizing how strange her wording was and attempted to explain herself. "―N-not like that I mean!!! I mean...I don't...like...have a thing for blood!! I just..." She was growing embarrassed at their laughter. "What I meant was...." She sighed. "I mean...there was one time I wanted to try blood once, but that was because I was curious. And I was a little kid, so that clearly doesn't count as anything weird! Of course, I never really tasted blood or even thought about feeding off of it like...y'know, a demon would."

They nodded.

Shinobu raised her hand.

"Forgive me for my repeated words," she began. "But I do have one last question. Have you ever eaten a demon by chance?" The question earned some looks from her fellow Hashira, which she seemed to ignore as she stared at the girl intently.

Confused, Tamashii shook her head.

"Don't take this the wrong way," she dead-panned. "But what the fuck kind of question is that?" Noticing the woman's surprised expression, and fearing she would anger her (it was bad enough the Sanemi guy looked like he wanted to snap her neck off), immediately tried to explain herself. "I mean no offense but it just...it doesn't make any sense. Besides, I've never wanted to eat a demon and I still wouldn't eat a demon, much less a human. That's just...disgusting."

"You weren't saying that before when you tried to eat Shinazugawa," Obanai snapped. "You act haughty but you're a hypocrite, I hope you know that."

She scowled at the Snake pillar in annoyance, but said nothing. Mainly because the snake that was wrapped around his neck scared her, and she didn't want to annoy a man who seemed to be best friends with a snake of all things.

What she did want to do however was go back to her normal life, which was demon hunting with Tanjiro as they looked for a cure for Nezuko. Not to sit here discussing her personal life with a bunch of strangers who all looked like they were hit with a rainbow shower or something. Seriously, what was up with that flame guy? He looked like an owl. A bright owl.

"So what you're saying," the Insect Hashira repeated. "Is that you've never eaten a demon in your entire life? Not once?"

"No, I have not," she said slowly. "Why are you still asking?"

The woman looked thoughtful as she smiled sweetly, unnerving the girl. "It's nothing," she said, and went quiet. It seemed that her fellow Hashira were used to it, since they looked pretty calm for a woman who just smiled without any reason to do so.

Weird....I hope she doesn't kill me. Tamashii sighed. She reminds me of Lady Tamayo....except I'm sure Lady Tamayo doesn't look like she's secretly plotting my murder 24/7. She's pretty too.

"Well, this was pointless," the Wind Hashira grumbled. "So what now? We're just gonna let her walk free like nothing happened?"

Ubayashiki's light laughter could be heard, and the mean and annoyed aura surrounding Sanemi quickly diminished. The master was truly something else. "I hope you weren't expecting us to lock her away," he replied. "That wouldn't be very fair now, would it?" He smiled, his head turning slightly in the girl's direction. "My dear, you are truly an enigma." He seemed to have sensed the light grimace that dawned her expression and chuckled. "Don't look too surprised. Surely you're aware of your uniqueness, no?" His hand reached out to pat the girl's head, and a light feeling bubbled in her stomach. "I look forward to seeing much from you in the future."