chapter 18 :: a past that had been

WARNING: this chapter may contain

mentions of child-abuse ,, blood ,, domestic violence

A snowy landscape.

A cheery village.

And a curious little family that had their secrets.

I remember now....although we never lived in the mountains, the village was always cold. Even during the summer, when the sun would shine brightly in the sky, the village air would always be frigid and crisp.

I never liked the cold. So did many of the other kids in that village. Sometimes we would sneak out behind our parents' back and gather around a campfire, sharing stories and tales on why our village was always filled with icy air.

I remember.....the Kamado family were obviously never really my blood family. They took me in as one of their own because at the time, I was merely a helpless child with no memory of her birth parents.

I remember that I too had a family. I had three brothers, and a sister. I was the middle child, and yet despite what we went through, I still loved them.

I remember Izumi, the youngest of us five. Yukari was the oldest and Riaho was second after her. Then there was me, and Kyo. As children, the only ones I was close with were my brothers. For some reason, Yukari disliked me, and she would express this every day whenever we spoke.

Come to think of it, my mother was the same.

Whenever we walked around the village, the villagers would say I was an exact replica of my mother. The difference was that while she had lavender colored hair that earned her the nickname 'Izisei's Wisteria Darling', my hair was much darker, almost black even, and I suffered from heterochromia.

In that village, it was normal for kids to be born differently. Although we were considered 'exotic' for our dark complexions, we never truly stood out the way some would assume.

I remember...I remember so many things.

But why now? Why choose to make me remember this all this time?

Where do I begin...my memories are all foggy....

Ah, I remember now.

I was born in the village of Izisei, which was so small and completely boring that it was never included in any maps. People who visit our village were all lost wanderers with nowhere to stay, so they would spend the night before leaving the next morning. It was known as the village of cold air and beautiful people amongst the residents though, and I think they still live to this name till this day.

My family were well-to-do people. They weren't perfect, but at least they were never disliked by the villagers that lived here despite their attitude at times.

The Nakano family name was once considered a clan and the founders of our village. They were a clan, but rumor has it that because one family member was cursed, they disbanded. Now everyone lives according to their own rules I suppose.

There was always something strange about my family, and as a young child I never knew what that was. However, I did know one thing, and that was simply how much I despised the man who I called 'Father.'