Chapter 3

A congregation of Men, Elves, Dwarves, a wizard and a hobbit sit amongst the council of Elrond, all facing Elrond standing at a stone pedestal. The silence was deafening, the tension unbearable. Y/n's only comfort was found in a certain elf sitting next to her. Legolas had his forearm resting against her own in a silent act of comfort.

Y/n spotted Aragorn from across the courtyard and caught his eye. They had met on previous occasions and he was now viewed as a good friend to her. She waved subtly to him, and recieved a similar gesture.

"Strangers from distant lands, friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor." Elrond addressed the crowd in front of him. Y/n had not known that the threat was so great. She now wished she had brought her swords, for if Legolas had been right about a ring, and it meant facing Mordor, then it could only mean one thing. Bad news.

"Middle-Earth stands in the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate - this one doom. Bring forth the ring, Frodo." A halfling then slowly made his way to the pedestal, and placing upon it a single golden ring. So this was what all the fuss was about. Y/n found it hard to comprehend how something so small could bring about the end of middle earth.

A man then opens his mouth to speak, y/n remembered Legolas mentioning he was called Boromir. "So it is true... in a dream, I saw the eastern sky grow dark. But in the west a pale light lingered. A voice was crying: 'Your doom is near at hand'". He rose from his seat and started walking towards the ring on the pedestal and y/n clutched the handle of one of her daggers. If a power hungry man such as he were to put on the ring, he would no doubt be corrupted by it's power in a matter of seconds. "Isildur's Bane is found." He reached towards the ring and y/n and Legolas exchanged a worried glance that was mirrored by Elrond and Gandalf.

As his hand hovered over the ring, Lord Elrond jumped up "Boromir!". The man in question took a step backwards, snapping out of his trance, he was being corrupted without the ring even being on his finger. It was a clear reminder of the power that the one ring held. It was then that Gandalf decided to end the confusion onto what the ring was capable of.

"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul." (One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them).

Gandalf's voice boomed throughout the palace, the ring echoing his words in a cold and raspy tone, as if it had just been woken up from a thousand year old slumber. It instilled fear into the hearts of all who heard it, causing everyone to fall back to their seats, horrified. Even Boromir forgot his temptation. Elrond, however, looked absolutely terrified.

"Never before has any voice uttered the words of that tongue here in Imladris!"

"I do not ask your pardon, Master Elrond, for the black speech of Mordor may yet be heard in every corner of the West! The ring is altogether evil." Y/n could feel the tension rising in the room, her hand gripping her dagger tighter. She saw Gandalf giving a stern look towards Boromir, who in turn just looked bored.

"It is a gift. A gift to the foes of Mordor." Y/n decided that he was an idiot, and from here on out, she wouldn't listen to a word he said without proper caution. Boromir then rose from his seat and began to pace about the courtyard. "Why not use this ring? Long had my father, the steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people your lands have been kept safe! Give Gondor the weapon if the enemy. Let us use it against him!"

Aragorn then rose from his seat, infuriated by the lack of caution from the other man sat at this council. "You cannot wield it! None of us can. The one ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master."