Chapter 12

The fellowship stood round the lake opposite where gimli was sure the doors where, as the hobbits all sat down to rest their tired feet. The rest of the fellowship stood round Gimli, except for Legolas, who refused to stay still, because staying still would be to allow himself to think, and that would mean thinking about y/n, and that would be a bad idea.

"Dwarf doors are invisible when closed." Gimli explained, tapping the wall with his axe.

"Yes Gimli! Their own masters cannot find them, if their secrets are forgotten." Gandalf said.

"Why doesn't that surprise me." Legolas said dryly, not a drop of humour in his voice. Any other day Gimli wouldn't have stood for such comments, however, he kept his discontent to himself and he looked on Legolas with pity, the elf was clearly finding it very difficult to adjust to not having y/n around, he knew how Legolas overthought everything and there was no doubt he blamed himself entirely for what had happened. In fact, the comment, however intentionally hurtful, just sent a pang of pity through the dwarves heart.

"Don't look at me like that." Gimli turned to look at Legolas, but the elf in question kept his eyes trained to the ground.

"Like what?"

"Like I'm a fawn with a broken leg."

"You must admit you do look a bit like one though."

"I do not, I am perfectly fine. Stop being irritating." Gimli was starting to get on Legolas' last nerve now.

"I didn't do anything, don't twist this."

"Then stop taking pity on me dwarf." Alright, screw compassion, Gimli would not stand for this torment.

"So you're not upset that y/n may never speak to you again,"

Legolas stayed silent.

"I wouldn't if I was her. I'd probably be jumping for joy because I'd never have to set eyes upon your sad little face again." 

Legolas kept his eyes down, his lip quivering slightly, before an emotionless expression settled on his face. Maybe Gimli had gone a little too far.but Legolas did have it coming, so he made no move to apologise.

"Okay, we can discuss y/n later," Aragorn butted in, pointedly to Legolas, " for now we need to figure out how to get into the mines before we lose too much time."

" Ah... now let me see... Ithildin," he brushed away the layer of dirt covering the cliff face to reveal intricate carvings in the stone, " it mirrors only starlight..." He tilted his head up to see the clouds move away from the moon, "... and moonlight."

As he spoke, the patterning on the door shine brightly revealing an ornate door, with elvish writing above it on the arch. Gimli looked upon it in awe, as did the rest of the fellowship, some dwarfish technology really was remarkable. Gandalf pointed to the writing with his staff, translating it for those who couldn't read elvish.

"It reads 'The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria, Speak friend and enter.'"

"What do you suppose that means?" Pippin asked curiously.

"Oh it's quite simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password and the doors will open," Gandalf explained, he then turned back to the door and held his staff to the star carved at its centre, "Annan Edhellen, edro hi ammen! (Gate of the Elves, open now for me!)"

Pippin grinned widely, but nothing happened. Gandalf looked confused, tilting his head slightly and clearing his throat. He the held up both his hands.

"Fennas Nogothrim, lasto beth lammen. (Doorway of the Dwarf-folk, listen to the word of my tongue.)"