Chapter 6

Y/n had been lost deep in thought since they had set off again, wondering silently how what could have possibly happened back on mountain side. Legolas walked just in front of her protectively, but didn't try to make conversation like he usually would, he knew the first person she would speak to would probably be Gandalf, he knew more about what happened to her than he did, and he didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable, so he restricted himself to occasional glances and smiles thrown casually in her direction.

As they climbed through the crisp fresh snow, y/n dropped back to Gandalf's side, and they walked in a comfortable silence for a few moments before y/n sighed and turned to face him.

"Gandalf...."

"If you are about to ask me what happened to you earlier, I cannot give you an answer."

"But..."

"I can, however, offer you advice?"

"Thank you, but if you had to guess, what do you think happened?"

Gandalf sighed, "I cannot be sure, however it seems as though you have begun to develop some sort of telepathic abilities, not unlike lady Galadriel. So I suggest speaking to her as soon as you can as she will understand it better than myself."

Y/n stood speechless, she had expected it had been panic, or just Saruman's power seeping off the Crebain, she had been the closest to them after all. But psychic powers? That could be a great asset in the future, but what would it mean when she met other dark creatures? Would that happen all the time? And how come the Crebain didn't see her? She was sure she was going to be spotted just standing there.

Then she remembered Legolas running to save her and she realised she had forgotten to thank him.

"Thank you, Gandalf." He merely nodded before y/n took off back towards the front of the group, and Legolas.

He turned to face her and smiled when he saw her grin.

"You look happy?" He questioned

"Yes, well Gandalf said I might have psychic powers which is really cool... but I actually came to say thank you."

"For what?"

"For saving me from the Crebain, if you didn't push me out of the way I don't know what could have happened."

"Oh!... Right... yes, no problem. I would hardly be a good friend if I hadn't done something. You've no need to thank me."

"Well, thank you anyway, my Prince." Y/n smiled and quickly pecked Legolas on the cheek before walking off to talk to Gimli, leaving Legolas completely still, a blush spreading its way over his face. He gently pressed a hand to where y/n kissed his cheek and heard Gandalf chuckle behind him before speed walking back to the front of the group so no-one could see his flushed face.

Towards the front of the group, Frodo walked, laughing under his breath when he saw Legolas' giddy expression: he concluded y/n had said something nice to him again. They would make a good couple.

Suddenly, Frodo lost his footing and fell with a cry, rolling down the slope towards Aragorn, who reached down his hand to help him up.

Y/n saw Frodo instinctively reach to his neck for the ring, only to find it wasn't there.

He turned his head to look intensely at some snow near when he tripped and y/n followed his gaze to where Boromir of all people was picking it up.

Y/n slowly walked towards him as he stared sadly at the ring in his hand, the fault of human greed threatening to overcome his little common sense.

"Boromir." Aragorn said quietly, only to be completely ignored.

"It is a strange fate we should suffer so much fear and doubt... over so small a thing. Such a little thing..." Y/n, Aragorn and Legolas all glanced at each other, agreeing to step in if this continued any longer as Boromir reached out a gloved hand to touch the one ring.

"Boromir!" Y/n and Aragorn shouted at the same time, snapping the oaf in question out of his trance.

"Give the ring to Frodo." Aragorn stated. Boromir walked slowly down the slope to the ranger and the hobbit. Aragorn's hand resting on the hilt of his sword, Legolas' and y/n's on their bows. Relaxing only slightly when he reached the ring out towards Frodo.

"As you wish, I care not." Frodo grabbed the ring sharply off him before Boromir awkwardly tousled Frodo's hair, making everyone release the breath they were holding.