Heavy Mortal Hopes

Y/n's POV

"What she's asking is nearly impossible," I mutter to Musa, who was sitting next to me. All of our lessons this week had been about control, and today, Headmistress Dowling was presenting us each with challenges suited towards our powers. And mine, well, lets just say it wasn't looking too good.

"Ahem," Headmistress Dowling coughed. "Your turn, Y/n."

"Headmistress, you're asking me to create some sort of ice sculpture with just a bowl of water. The most I could do is freeze it over," I disclose. "I'd need a water fairy to shape it first before I freeze it."

"Don't underestimate your abilities, Y/n," Headmistress Dowling lectured. "The powers of ice have a farther reach into water than you may think. Now go on. Try it." I sighed, but nodded, and focused on the bowl in front of me. I could feel my eyes turn an icy blue as I manipulated the water to get colder, but no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get it to move or change shape. So, the water eventually just froze, leaving it stuck to the bottom of the bowl. "You need to keep an open mind. Once you do that, you'll be able to perform the task that I asked. As for now, just keep practicing."

..............................................

"Headmistress Dowling is mental. Absolutely mental," I complain to Musa, Bloom, and Terra, all of whom were sitting with me at lunch. "There's no way I'll ever be able to do what she wants. I'm an ice fairy, not a water fairy. I can't control water. All I can do is manipulate its temperature."

"Don't worry. You'll get there at some point," Bloom assured me.

"Ugh. Get away from me you massive pedo!" Beatrix spit out towards Callum, Headmistress Dowling's assistant. She then ditched him and met up with Riven, who pulled her to his side, an apple in between his teeth. As Beatrix leaned up to take a bite with the apple still in his mouth, I looked away and began to pick at my food.

"Whoa. Someone's jealous," Musa announced.

"I'm not jealous," I oppose. "Get out of my head, Musa."

"Sorry. Jealous, sad, and a bit angry," Musa corrected.

"Whatever. Can we not talk about it? Please," I beg.

"Well now we have to talk about it," Bloom declared. "We can't have you sulking for the whole year. What's up between you and Riven?"

"Nothing," I lie. "Absolutely nothing."

"Y/n, you were here all the time last year to hang out with him and Sky," Terra recalled. "You guys used to be best friends. And then this year started off with you almost killing him. What happened between the two of you?"

I sighed. "You guys are not gonna let this go, are you?"

"Nope," Musa answered.

"Fine," I breathe out. "At the beginning of the summer, Riv and I sort of had a thing. I wouldn't necessarily call it dating, but that's kind of what it was. I never thought we'd be more than friends, but spending so much time with him brought us closer together. And then, a few weeks before this school year started, he changed. He went from being the cute nerd I had grown to love to the kid who always got into trouble and started smoking. And then, the night we were gonna have sex for the first time, I told him that I didn't like the new him, but he took it the wrong way. I tried to apologize and get him to come back, but he said he wasn't going to have sex with someone who didn't like him for who he was. That's why he said those things during that gathering our first night here. We never told anyone about us, not even Sky. All he knows is that we got into a fight and haven't really been friends since. So yeah. That's what happened."