Chapter 4- Unexpected

My morning alarm chimed into my dreams, the opening curtain call for my day.

I don't know what I would do without it, probably sleep for days on end.

For once in my life, I actually got up before the snooze alarm sounded.

The cafe opens in an hour, meaning I have 30 minutes before I need to start the walk.

Picking up the book from my nightstand, I read a few pages before slipping into today's outfit and grabbing my purse.

Shockingly, its not like the Arctic today.

A fine day is the best of days, not enough cold to freeze your bones, but not warm enough to leave you tired and sweating.

It's kind to the skin and eyes, giving you a break from the harshness.

Looking at the ground, its shielded in a layer of beautiful, autumn leaves, the floor underneath still wet from the previous nights rainfall.

Breathing in the fresh air, I continue to walk down to work.

As I approach the cafe, I see Mr Davis but the sign out the door, before giving me a small wave.

To give him credit, its a gorgeous place.

The warm glow from the fairy lights that spread along the roof give the room the best colour, chalk boards with the cursive writing above the counter.

Green, vibrant plants hang from various columns and walls.

Our counter is cluttered with sugars, milks and cute little decorations, wooden tables scattered across the room.

I love this place. Even if the prices are unreasonable.

Pulling my apron off the hook, I slide it over my head and tie it tight around my waist.

I quickly throw my hair into the messiest bun you've ever seen, my baby hairs hanging out the front.

The second the clock hits 11, people flood in and I already feel tired.

Taking orders, making coffees left and right every single day isn't where I want to be.

But finding jobs around here is hard, and I know I have a secure spot where I am now.

Around 2 hours pass.

I throw my head back when the 3rd customer already complains I spelt their name wrong and try my hardest not to flip out.

"Its with an f actually."

So fucking what? You got your coffee now go sit down.

I put my best smile on.

"I do apologise, I'll remember if you come again." I say through my teeth.

"I won't be coming here again." they mutter as they walk away.

Taking a deep breath, I walk into the back.

"Please cover the counter for 10 minutes, Josh I can't handle another grouchy customer!"

He looks at me, clearly amused by my frustration.

"I'll tell Mr Davis you took the packets of sugar." I deadpan.

Gasping dramatically, he storms out into the front, stomping his feet like a toddler.

"Mr Davis!" I yell.

"What is it, dear?" he says, wandering into the room. "Why must you children yell so loud?"

"Can I go on my break early?" I ask desperately. I need 20 minutes to sit and have my own cup of energy.

He gives me that sweet smile and nods.