Chapter 23- Cake

-Alaina-

"Okay we need to talk." he discards the stuffed toy, looking dead into my eyes.

Shit.

"I can't pretend I didn't say what I said. I really do love you, Alaina." his eyes search mine, just for anything.

I open my mouth before slamming it shut.

"I may have said it when I was angry, and while we weren't dating but it doesn't make it any less true. Just please..." his face drops, fiddling with my hand that's in his.

My heart constricts at his words, and the sincerity behind them. His eyes speak all the truth I needed to hear.

I stumble on my words as I try to speak, my mind restraining me from repeating it back to him.

I love you.

For some reason, I swallow the words, unable to say it.

I see his heart crack behind his seemingly bright eyes.

I love you.

Tucking his lips into his mouth, he nods.

He drops my hand, looking around the room aimlessly, blinking rapidly.

I love you so much.

"It's okay, you don't have to say it back." he whispers, his voice breaking.

Why can't I say it?

"I'm scared." I murmur under my breath.

This catches his attention, his glossy eyes fixating back on me.

His hair droops over his face, dangling in front of his eyes slightly, his jaw ticking.

"You have no reason to be scared, love." there's a small smile playing on his lips as his arms spread open to me.

My head nuzzles into the heat of his chest.

"I am going to keep loving you. Whether you do or not."

Both our bodies jerk when his phone rings unexpectedly.

Placing a kiss on my hair, he picks it up.

"What?" he answers.

Very aggressive.

His untangles himself from me, pacing around as he speaks.

Putting his phone down on the bed, he looks up at me.

"I'll be back in 10 minutes, Lucas needs a pair of shoes, he has that fucking date tonight." he rolls his eyes.

I find myself smiling and moving around excitedly.

He deserves it.

In a rush, he dashes out the door, and that's when I come up with a plan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blowing the long strands of hair from my face again, I wipe my messy hands on my apron.

I look at the flour and sugar coated counter and let out a sigh.

There's a soft chuckle behind me and I ignore it and continue mixing.

Using my forearms, I brush the hair away again before he speaks.

"Hold still, darling." he reaches over to my wrist, taking the hair tie.

Gathering my hair, he carefully wraps the tie around it, smiling down at his work.

He places a kiss on my shoulder before leaning on the counter beside me.

"What the fuck are you making?" he laughs looking at the mess.