Chapter 28- Grief

-Dominic-

The drive has been completely silent since the car doors closed.

Alaina is impossible to read right now, there's just a dull, blank look in her eyes and there's nothing I can do to help.

I drive fast, most definitely over the speed limit, but that's the least of my worries.

The silent girl beside me is the only thing I can think about.

Not taking the time to slow down, I take a sharp turn into the hospital and not even a second after we pull up, Alaina is out of the door.

I try and catch up with her but I completely lose her in the maze of the hospital.

After running around like a headless chicken, I see her waving her arms around at a lady who sits calmly at a desk.

"What do you mean 'you don't know'?" her arms fly into the air as the lady continues to type on her computer.

My hand rests on the small of her back and she takes a deep breath.

"I know its hard, love, but it's not her fault." I whisper in her ear, rubbing my hand up and down her back.

She glances over to me, unable to keep the tears at bay.

"Just please find my dad." she's looking at me, but she's talking to me and this receptionist.

Before I can reply, she walks over to a chair, slumping down.

Her head rests in her hands, her entire body shaking.

"Alexander White." I clasp my hands together, just hoping I can at least do this for her.

 I watch her type and scroll rapidly before looking up at me.

"Room 506, I'm so sorry about the mix up."

I simply nod before going over to Alaina, bending at the waist so we are eye level.

She notices my presence instantly and her head shoots up to look at me.

Putting my hand out, I wait for her to grab it, which is almost immediately.

I guide her to 506, notcing a doctor writing on a chart and multiple nurses.

My gut is telling me this isn't good and I can just feel the strain on Alaina's heart like it was my own.

Feeling her hand slip from mine, I follow her over to where the doctors are.

"Where is he? Is he okay? What happened?" her questions come out frantically, it's probably impossible for anyone who hasn't heard her do this before to figure out.

"Are you the daughter?"

She doesn't speak, she just nods, shaking her hands around to calm herself.

The doctor starts to explain what happened, talking about cardiac arrest but most of its blurred as I focus on how whatever was left of her composure completely breaks down.