Chapter 5

It took awhile for Flora to wake up and walk again. Once she did, Steve takes them to Flora's apartment and helps her to her bedroom, Flora quickly strips out of her Suit, relying on her memory to get around her apartment and find her things as her senses work off and on. She then grabs a small backpack and shoves her suit inside. "Put these on." Flora throws him sweatpants and a jacket.

"Why do you have mens clothes?"

"Don't get excited. I like baggy clothes." She smiles as he starts to take his suit off.

She throws on a jacket over her tank top and black leggings, quickly shoving on sneakers and swinging her bag over her shoulders.

"We need to get back to the hospital." Steve says as she heads to the door.

"Why the hell would we do that?" She turns.

"Flash drive. Hid it there." He hands Flora her red tinted glasses.

"Steve....we need to hide." She rubs her face, she looks down at the small side table by the door and feels around for sunglasses instead and puts them on.

"No...we can't do that." He goes to get her cane.

"Leave it. I stick out like a sore thumb." She sighs. "Let's get your stupid flash drive."

Turns out someone stole the flash drive, this just made Flora angrier.

"I swear it was here." He whispers.

"You are so stupid."

Suddenly they both turn as they hear someone blowing a bubble with their gum. Flora immediately knew it was Natasha and sighed as Steve grabbed her and pushed her into the empty room across from them. She quickly shuts the door and holds onto her head as she starts to feel dizzy.

"Where is it?" Steve asks.

"Safe."

"Do better!" Steve growls.

"Where did you get it?"

"Why would we tell you?" Steve asks.

"Fury gave it to you. Why?"

"What's on it?" Flora asks.

"I don't know."

"Stop lying!" He yells.

"I only act like I know everything, Rogers."

"I-I can barely hear her heartbeat right now but...I think she's telling the truth." Flora pushes Steve back.

Steve shakes his head, "I bet you knew Fury hired the pirates, didn't you?"

"Well, it makes sense. The ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in, so do you."

Steve leans closer to her. "I'm not gonna ask you again."

"I know who killed Fury. Most of the intelligence community doesn't believe he exists, the ones who do call him the Winter Soldier. He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years."

"So he's a ghost story." Flora says, leaning against the wall as she feels like her legs are gonna give out.

"What's wrong with you?"

"Rumlow injected me with something that messes with my senses." Flora nods.

"Back to the story, we'll talk about this later." Steve says angrily.

"Five years ago I was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, somebody shot out my tires near Odessa. We lost control, went straight over a cliff, I pulled us out, but the Winter Soldier was there. I was covering my engineer, so he shot him straight through me." She pulls up her shirt to show Steve the scar on the side of her stomach. "Soviet slug, no rifling. Bye-bye bikinis."

"Yeah, I bet you look terrible in them now." Flora smirks.

"Going after him is a dead end. I know, I've tried." Natasha holds up the flash drive. "Like you said, he's a ghost story."

Steve takes the flash drive from her. "Well, let's find out what the ghost wants."

The three make it to the nearest mall and set up on a computer in an apple store. Flora leans against the table beside Natasha as she types. "The drive has a Level Six homing program, so as soon as we boot up Shield will know exactly where we are."

"How much time do we have?" Steve asks.

"Uh...about nine minutes from..." She pops the flash drive into a MacBook Pro. "Now......Fury was right about that ship, somebody's trying to hide something. This drive is protected by some sort of AI, it keeps rewriting itself to counter my commands."

"Can you override it?" Steve asks.

"The person who developed this is slightly smarter than me. Slightly." She chuckles. "I'm gonna try running a tracer. This is a program that Shield developed to track hostile malware, so if we can't read the file, maybe we can find out where it came from."

"Can I help you guys with anything?" An employee walks over.

"Oh, no. My fiancé and her brother were just helping me with some honeymoon destinations." Natasha instantly says, smiling and grabbing Flora's shoulder.

"Right! We're getting married." Flora nods.

"And I'm paying!" Steve adds.

"Congratulations. Where are you guys thinking about going?"

Steve looks at the monitor. "They are thinking New Jersey." He nods.

"Oh." The employee looks at Steve for a moment. "I have the exact same glasses."

"Wow, you two are practically twins." Natasha says, not bothering to look at them.

"Yeah, I wish. Specimen. Uh...if you guys need anything, I've been Aaron."

"Thank you." Flora waves, Steve grabs her hand to wave in the right direction. "Oops."

"You said nine minutes, come on." Steve rushes her.

"Shh, relax. Got it. Wheaton, NJ...You know it?"

"I used to. Let's go." Steve pulls the flash drive from the computer and they walk out of the store. "Standard tac-team. Two behind, to across, two coming straight at us. If they make us, I'll engage, you hit the south escalator to the metro."

"Shut up. Flora put your arm around me, laugh at something I said. Steve put your head down."

"What?" Flora asks.

"Do it!" Flora quickly puts her arm around Natasha and laughs, stopping as they get to the escalator. Flora stands behind Natasha and stays quiet, not being able to sense anything around her. "Kiss me."

"What? Are you talking to me?" Flora asks.

"Rumlow is coming...Public displays of affection make people very uncomfortable."

"They do." Flora nods.

Natasha grabs the back of Flora's neck and pulls her down, pressing her lips against Flora's and holding onto her hip. Flora tilts her head and smiles into their kiss as she slides her hand up to the back of Natasha's neck.

After a few minutes, Natasha finally pulls away. "You still uncomfortable?"

Flora steps off the escalator and just stands there in shock, "I think I'm in love."

"Come on." Steve chuckles and guides her outside.