Chapter 8

Flora sits in the middle of Natasha and Sitwell in the back seat of Sam's car. "Hydra doesn't like leaks." Sitwell suddenly says.

"So why don't you try sticking a cork in it."

"Why do I have to sit next to him." Flora sighs.

"Insight's launching in sixteen hours, we're cutting it a little bit close here." Natasha says.

"I know. We'll use him to bypass the DNA scans and access the Helicarriers directly."

Sitwell sits up in shock, "What?! Are you crazy? That is a terrible, terrible idea-" Suddenly someone lands on the car roof, pulls Sitwell out through the window and throws him into the oncoming traffic, killing him.

Flora leaps up into Steve's lap, Natasha sits in the middle of Sam and Steve as the person starts shooting the backseat. Flora pulls Steve's head into her chest to protect him as the person now shoots at them.

Steve quickly pulls the parking break making the person drop down onto the street, another car smashes into the car and pushes them along, the man jumps back onto their car, smashes through the windshield and pulls out the steering wheel.

"Shit!" Sam yells.

Natasha starts shooting at him but the man jumps onto the vehicle behind them.

"Hang on!" Steve yells as the car flips, he breaks open the door, holding onto Natasha, Sam, and Flora, they slide on the car door through the streets.

Steve holds onto Flora and helps her up, then quickly pushing her aside as the man shoots a grenade at them. Steve goes crashing into the bus below as Flora goes into incoming traffic. She is suddenly struck by a car, sending her flipping off the ledge and onto a parked car below.

"Fuck...." Flora growls, falling off the car and looking up to see the man chasing after Natasha.

"Are you okay?" Sam yells down to her.

"Yeah....I'll go after them!" She reaches back to her backpack and pulls out her baton.

She sprints ahead and presses a small button, swinging the top of her baton around a fire escape on a tall building. She jumps into a car, then a bus and leaps off, swinging through the street.

Flora leaps down and kicks the Soldier's face, saving Natasha before he can shoot her. She punches his side and ducks his punch, relying on his heart to see. Flora hits his knee with her baton, rolling to the side to avoid being kicked. The man spins around and kicks her stomach, sending her flying into a car windshield as Steve leaps in.

Flora groans and falls to her knees, looking up as she gasps for air to see Steve and the man fighting. She eventually stands as Steve is thrown to the side. She slowly walks to the man, grabbing a piece of broken glass and stabbing it into his shoulder.

The man yells out and grabs her neck with his metal hand, lifting her in the air and squeezing her neck tight. She claws at his neck and his mask, eventually knocking it off, for the first time she stares into his eyes. His grip loosens as he slowly sets her down.

"Who are you?" Flora gasps for air, slowly reaching up and feeling the features of his face with her shaky hands. Her heart races as she can suddenly see a clear image of this man's face. It was Steve's friend. "W-What is this feeling?" He looks Flora over, looking at her in confusion.

"I-I don't know." He says softly, reaching up and touching the side of her face with his flesh hand. "It feels strange...and nice."

It had seemed like the world around them stopped, like it was just the two of them.

"Bucky...?" Steve asks from beside them.

Flora quickly steps away as he looks at Steve, breaking them out of their unknown connection. "Who the hell is Bucky?" Bucky aims his pistol at Steve, Sam flies in and kicks Bucky aside.

Flora could tell Bucky has a brief feeling of realization, but he quickly brushes it aside and takes aim again. Before he can shoot, Natasha uses the grenade launcher he dropped against him. He vanishes in the smoke of the explosion.

"What the hall was that?" Sam asks Flora.

"I have no idea...it felt so weird.

"Drop the shield, Cap! On your knees! Get on your knees! Now! Get down! Get down!" Rumlow rushes over and pushes him down.

Flora puts her baton away as Rumlow walks over to her. "I see you are feeling better." He pushes her to her knees and grabs her backpack. Rumlow hands it over to another masked agent and grabs her arms, quickly cuffing her. "Should have stayed with me sweetheart....now you have to die." He whispers in her ear.

"Fuck you." Flora mutters as he pulls her up.

"Your missing out."

Flora kept focusing on the agents in the van as they drove. "It was him. He looked right at me like he didn't even know me." Steve whispers.

"How's that even possible? It was like seventy years ago."

Steve shakes his head, "Zola. Bucky's whole unit was captured in '43, Zola experimented on him. Whatever he did helped Bucky survive the fall. They must have found him and..."

"None of that's your fault, Steve." Flora finally looks over at him.

"Even when I had nothing, I had Bucky."

Sam notices Natasha is bleeding from her shoulder and looks at the agents. "We need to get a doctor here. We don't put pressure on that wound she's gonna bleed out here in the truck." Suddenly one of the guards pulls out an electric rod and neutralizes the other guard and knocks him out, the guard is revealed to be Maria Hill as she takes off her helmet

"Ah. That thing was squeezing my brain." Sam looks at her in confusion. "Who's this guy?"