Chapter 7

Flora eventually woke up and the three went back to D.C.  Steve took them to someone they could trust.

"Hey, man." Steve says as the man opens the back door.

"I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low."

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us." Flora says, clutching her bleeding head.

"Not everyone."

After quick introductions Sam shows them where they can clean up.

She takes a shower then sits at Sam's table as he makes breakfast, meditating to further heal herself. He kept glancing back at her as if to ask her a question.

"I know you want to ask me something. Just ask me."

"Are you actually blind?" He turns.

"Yes. Well partially. Right now all I see is a firey, blurry image of you."

"What else can you do?" He asks.

"I know that you are still sweating from your workout. You haven't eaten since yesterday...you ate two slices of pizza and a candy bar. Then you had four beers.....you are getting more nervous as I keep telling you this."

"You do realize that you sound creepy right?" He chuckles.

"Maybe."

"It's damn cool though." He hands her a plate of breakfast.

"You should go shower though." She smirks as she takes a bite of bacon.

"Really? That bad?" He laughs and heads towards the spare room to get Steve and Natasha.

Flora turns her head towards the front door as she hears someone walking up. She could smell their cologne, their heart was racing.

She quickly pulls out her baton from her bag and hides beside the door. "Flora?" Steve asks.

"Shut up for a moment." She holds her hand out. "Someone is here."

Sam steps over to the window and peaks out. "It's just my neighbor. He's just a kid." He opens the door. "Hey Carlos."

"Hi Mr Wilson. Could I have a cup of milk? Mom is making a cake and ran out. She said she'd bring you some."

"Of course, kid. I'll be back." He shuts the door. "Were you really gonna kill a kid?"

"Of course not, I don't kill people. Knock him out sure... I thought it was someone from Shield." She sits back down beside Natasha and Steve.

"You are so paranoid." Natasha laughs as Sam returns and hands the kid a cup of milk.

"Anyway....the question is: who in Shield could launch a domestic missile strike?" Flora asks as they sit at the table.

"Pierce."

"Who happens to be sitting on top of the most secure building in the world." Natasha sighs.

"But he's not working alone, Zola's algorithm was on the Lemurian Star."

Flora nods, "So was Jasper Sitwell."

"So, the real question is: how do the three most wanted people in Washington kidnap a Shield officer in broad daylight?"

"The answer is: you don't." Sam drops a file in front of Steve.

Steve looks up in surprise. "What's this?"

"Call it a resume."

"Is this Bakhmala? The Khalid Khandil mission, that was you." Natasha looks at Steve, "You didn't say he was a para-rescue."

"Is this Riley?"

Sam nods, "Yeah."

"I heard they couldn't bring in the choppers because of the RPGs. What did you use, a stealth chute?" Natasha asks.

"No. These." He hands Steve the file, Steve opens it and reads it.

Steve then looks up, "I thought you said you were a pilot."

"I never said pilot."

"I can't ask you to do this, Sam. You got out for a good reason." Steve sighs.

"Dude, Captain America needs my help. There's no better reason to get back in."

"Where can we get our hands on one of these things?" Steve asks.

"The last one is at Fort Meade, behind three guarded gates and a twelve-inch steel wall." Steve looks at Natasha who shrugs her shoulders.

"Shouldn't be a problem." Flora nods.

After getting Sam's gear and taking Sitwell, Flora meets Natasha and Steve on a rooftop as they throw him down. "Tell me about Zola's algorithm."

"Never heard of it."

"What were you doing on the Lemurian Star?" Flora asks.

"I was throwing up, I get seasick." Steve forces Sitwell to the edge of the rooftop, Sitwell just smiles. "Is this little display meant to insinuate that you're gonna throw me off the roof? Because it's really not your style, Rogers."

"You're right. It's not. It's hers."  Steve steps aside and Natasha kicks Sitwell off the roof. He plummets down, screaming. 

"Oh, wait. What about that girl from accounting, Laura...?" Natasha asks.

"Lillian. Lip piercing, right?"

"Oh yeah, she's nice." Flora nods.

"Yeah, I'm not ready for that."

Sam flies up in his gear and drops Sitwell down. He holds his hands up as the four approach him angrily. "Zola's algorithm is a program...for choosing Insight's targets!"

"What targets?" Flora asks.

"You! A TV anchor in Cairo, the Undersecretary of Defense, a high school valedictorian in Iowa city. Bruce Banner, Stephen Strange, anyone who's a threat to Hydra! Now, or in the future."

"The Future? How could it know?" Steve looks at the others.

Sitwell laughs. "How could it not? The 21st century is a digital book. Zola taught Hydra how to read it. Your bank records, medical histories, voting patterns, e-mails, phone calls, your damn SAT scores. Zola's algorithm evaluates people's past to predict their future."

"And what then?" Flora asks.

"Oh, my God. Pierce is gonna kill me."

Flora grabs Sitwell and roughly pulls him to his feet. "What then?!"

"Then the Insight Helicarriers scratch people off the list. A few million at a time."