Chapter fourteen - Popcorn

Scarlett's pov

"I'm just going to go to the bathroom." Riley stood up excusing herself. Lizzie and I both smiled at her as she walked out.

The day had consisted of lots of games and a lot of talking, with some obviously needed food and a few drinks.

"I'm glad you found this girl." Lizzie said out of the blue whilst winding a loose string from her shirt around her finger as she turned the page the book placed in her lap.

"I don't know what I would've done if I hadn't.." I replied deep into thought. Lizzie looked up from the page, her face showing genuine concern.

"You do know it's not your fault what happened, right?', she placed a bookmark in her book closing it,'It wasn't on you to find her in the first place don't put that on yourself."

"I know, but-" Lizzie abruptly cut me off, "Do you? Do you know that none of what would've and what did happen is your fault." Her words sank in but didn't reach my heart.

It was true, I did blame myself but not entirely because of what happened to her, it was to do with me and what I'd been through, I blamed myself for what happened to me and I've brought that guilt onto Riley without realising it but it's personal.

"I know, I don't blame myself." I ignored my thoughts. Opening her mouth to speak, Lizzie was interrupted by Riley walking back into the room.

Lizzie gave me that well known look that this conversation wasn't over but I was glad in the moment since I couldn't deal with the emotional attachment.

I was brought back by Riley's arms wrapping around my body as she buried her face into my hair that was down today. I felt an overwhelming feeling approach as my eyes started to water. I could feel Lizzie's gaze strongly on me.

Her words echoed in my mind but she was right.
I loved her. I don't know what I would've done if I didn't find her that night but I'm glad I did, because know she was safe, she would never have to deal with the pain and sorrow she was put through again.

"I love you Scarlett." Riley hushed my thoughts once again. I felt a sudden rush of joy throughout my body and I started to tickle her. Her laughs filled the room as I gently tackled her to the floor.

"Stop, oh my god it tickles!" She giggled throwing her legs up in the air. "I love you too." I smirked letting go of her. "I'll never say I love you again if you tickle me each time!" She joked standing up.

"Oh well then I guess I'll tickle you until you say I love you then.." The expression on her face made me laugh. "That's not fair!"
"Life isn't always fair darling." I raised my eyebrows at her purposely throwing her off.

Lizzie laughed looking up at the both of us, throwing some popcorn into her mouth, still reading her book.
"Anything to contribute to the conversation Liz?" I said sarcastically speaking.

"Nothing that wouldn't start an argument, no."
She smiled testing me. "Whatcha reading?" Riley sat down to the side of Lizzie, peering over her shoulder.

"The evolution of a girl." Lizzie said easily munching on another piece of popcorn. "Can I have one?" Riley asked politely making me smile.

"Of course you can!" Lizzie handed her the bowl seeming unbothered that Riley was shoving her entire hand into the bowl, trying to grab as much as she could.