CHAPTER 5 The Secret

HER

I feel exhausted. I just finished my shift from the fast-food chain. My arms and legs are so sore. I stood up for almost six hours straight today in front of a cash register. At the same time, we've been practicing hard for the upcoming championship. I couldn't wait to go home and crash on my bed.

"Hey Brie, are you ready? Let's go, I'm dead tired." I said impatiently.

"Me, too. It's good we didn't get any more shifts this week. Just practicing everyday already drains me." She replied.

"Don't worry, two more days before the finals. I've been praying hard that we get it this time. But I'm also sad that he won't be there to see us." I said disappointed.

Mr. Rivera is out this whole week. Last time I saw him was during our conversation in the pavilion. He didn't even tell me that he filed for a leave the rest of the week. But who am I for him to tell me about his plans? I'm not his girlfriend. Yet.

"Here you go again. All I hear from you is Mr. Rivera! You're crazy about him. He'll be back soon, don't miss him too much. Come on, let's go! I just saw an empty cab parked over there. Hurry up!" She grabbed my arm and ran towards the side street.

It took forever to reach home. Traffic was bad. I was trying not to fall asleep. As soon as I stepped out of the cab, I saw a black Mercedes Benz parked in front of our house. I opened the gate hurriedly, wanting to know who was inside. Does my mom have a suitor? If yes, it's about time! She has been busy raising me single handedly on her own. She also needs somebody to take care of her, to love her.

I slowly opened the front door and saw a handsome guy sitting on our couch. He looks like a GQ model. My mom knows how to choose. He looks younger than mom but hey, age doesn't matter! I support her all the way as long as this guy will not break her heart.

I went straight to her and kissed her on the cheek. "Hi Ma, you didn't tell me you'll have a visitor tonight." I said teasing her. She looked nervous.

"Cassie, this is Mr. Christian Arkin." She said softly. I couldn't explain the expression on her face. Is it fear? I'm starting to get worried about her.

"Hi Cassie. I am so glad to meet you. I have heard a lot about you." He stood up and shook my hand. He's gorgeous! He's more than 6 feet tall. I could tell he's Fil-Am with his distinct features. Actually, almost the same as me. We have the same light brown eyes and hair color. I started to get curious.

"Arkin? Don't tell me you're THE Millennium Arkin? You own Millennium?" I said surprised.

He grinned and nodded. "Yes, I'm THE Millennium Arkin." He also made an emphasis on THE, like what I did.

I chuckled and was in total disbelief on who was in front of me. "I am so glad to meet you, Mr. Arkin. Is this about my internship application? Oh my! Did I get accepted? If yes, thank you! You'll never regret it, Sir. I've always dreamt of working in your company!"

I was so happy. I grabbed his hand and shook it with both my hands. I couldn't believe the CEO of Millennium Company is here in our house. Is this how they do it now; they come personally to welcome their interns? Wow! I felt so important.

"I'm glad you're interested in working in our company. You can even be the head of our company in the future if you want." He said with encouragement.

That statement made me confused. I looked at him with questioning eyes. He smiled at me and glanced at my mom. He seems to be asking help from my mom on what to say to me.

I turned to my mom who also stood up. She was fidgeting her hands in front of her.

"Cassie, he didn't come here for that. He came here for something else. Let's sit down first." She said nervously.