Chapter 16 The Plan

HIM

I was frozen after hearing Cassie's words.  Even though she already left, I stayed in the parking lot dumbfounded. It pierced like a dagger to hear Cassie telling me that she didn't like me.  I wish I'll get swallowed right now from where I'm standing.  All along, I thought there's something special going on between us. It hurts like hell. I scrolled down my phone and dialed Alecx's number.

"Hey, are you busy? Can I come over?" I said without letting Alecx reply to my first question.

"Just finished doing some final touches on a house project.  What's up?"

"Did you already have dinner? I'll bring over some food, what are you craving?" I offered.

"That's perfect. I'm starving. I didn't cook today. Tristan just left town to check on the new hotel he's building. Why don't we do Japanese? Ramen, sushi and rolls! I got some apple sake here!" She said excitedly.

"That's not enough. I'll grab more drinks. We need it." I replied in a sad tone.

"Hmmm. Another heartache story I bet.  OK, see you in a bit.  Drive safely."

I let out a deep sigh as soon as I hung up.  I'm glad my sister is here; I need to talk to someone. I don't want to sulk at home and do self-pity.  Alecx has always been my person and vice versa.  But now that she's getting married soon, I know I'll just be the second man in his life.  I hate that I'm being too dramatic. 

You need to put it together, Paul! I said to myself.  I've always been able to handle any kind of situation. I'm always in control.  However, I'm losing grip of myself.  Cassie is the only woman that made me feel this way.

As soon as I grabbed the Japanese food that Alecx requested, I headed straight to their new home.  They already moved a couple of weeks ago and will have their housewarming soon.  I still can't help but marvel at the architecture of their house which is in an exclusive gated village.  Alecx is a great architect.  She made the three-story home like a modern Italian Villa that one can see in Architectural Digest.

She just got out of the shower and looked fresh when she opened the huge door entrance of their beautiful home. She's all smiles as she got some of the food from me and went straight to the kitchen.

I sat on the bar counter and opened a bottle of beer while watching her prepare our dinner.

"You haven't eaten yet, Paul. Just drink later.  Here's some soup." She placed a small bowl of miso soup in front of me.

"So, what's going on? Is this about Cassie again?"  She was eyeing me seriously while putting our food in bowls and plates. 

"Didn't I tell you to leave it, forget about her?  Don't pursue a married woman, for Pete's sake." Alecx said frustrated.

"She's not married, Alecx.  I just learned from her best friend that she's single."

"What! How did that happen? I thought she was; we even saw her husband at my engagement party. Don't fool me, Paul."

"I also don't know the real story. Seems she played us. What a great liar." I said hurt.

"She is a great actress.  Very believable.  So, problem solved! Now that we know she's single, you can go after her! Why the long face, now?" She asked curiously.

"She doesn't like me, my dear sister.  She just told it straight to my face a while ago. She already has this Engineer that she's smitten with. I guess she just got into a relationship with him."

"I don't think so.  I saw the way she looked at you the first time I met her in the coffee shop.  I'm a woman, too.  I can tell that she likes you, Paul."