Chapter 8 Crushed

HER

It was a beautiful night. Caleb just pulled in front of a huge mansion inside a gated subdivision. There were lots of vehicles already parked outside. As I stepped out of the car, I saw a familiar face entering the mansion.

Wait! What is Paul doing here?! I'm still mad at him for calling me a liar. But I can't hide the fact that just getting a glimpse of him makes my heart race. He has that effect on me.

Caleb held my arm and led me towards the iron-gated mansion. As soon as we were inside, I was amazed by the set up and lighting. But at the back of my head, I'm still wondering why he's here? Is he a friend of the couple who got engaged? As we walked along the cobbled pathway, I got sidetracked by the variety of flowers adorning the entire path leading to the main entrance of the house.

There was an usher waiting in the front door who brought us to a huge garden at the back of the mansion. The lighting and decorations were even more spectacular as soon as we reached the garden. There were tables and chairs set up in the vast area. At the far end of the garden was an infinity pool. The mansion is located on an elevated hill. The view of the city lights from the top was gorgeous.

"Come on Cassie, I just saw Tristan over there." Caleb suddenly interrupted me from marveling on the amazing view. He pointed at a tall handsome guy smiling twenty feet from us. His arm was around the waist of a beautiful girl I just met almost a week ago, Alecx. She is gorgeous. They're a perfect couple.

I put two and two together. Alecx is Tristan's fiancée. No wonder Paul is here for the engagement of her only sister.

I must think fast. Since Paul is so convinced that I am married, I'll continue to play my charade. After all, he's the one who made abrupt assumptions about me. I just need to talk to Caleb and convince him to be my accomplice.

"You didn't tell me Alecx is Tristan's fiancée." I said to Caleb.

"Why do you know her? I'm not familiar with her. All I know is she's a well sought architect in New York." He replied.

I squeezed his arm which made him stop. He glanced at me wondering why I did that. "Cabe, can I ask you a huge favor please?" He had a questioning look in his eyes, but he nodded telling me to go on.

"When you introduce me to them, can you tell them I'm your wife?" I asked pleadingly.

"What!? Are you insane?" Caleb exclaimed.

"Please? I'll explain it to you later." I begged him.

"You're crazy. Why will I do that? What are you up to this time?" He was amused at my request and just shook his head. He held my arm and continued to walk towards Tristan and Alecx who were both smiling at us the moment we approached them.

"Caleb! I'm so glad you came! When did you arrive?" Tristan asked warmly.

"Just yesterday. Congratulations again on your engagement!" He shook Tristan's hand. Then, he looked towards Alecx and smiled at her.

"You haven't met Alecx yet, right? By the way, this is Alecx, my soon to be wife." Tristan said proudly. Alecx extended her hand and shook Caleb's hand.

"Nice to finally meet you Alecx! Congratulations to both of you." Caleb replied warmly and continued, "By the way, I would like you to meet..."

I suddenly interrupted Caleb, "Cassie, his wife. I'm so glad to meet both of you!" I said and extended my hand to Tristan.

Tristan had a surprised look on his face.

"Wow! I didn't know you were already married. I thought you were a bachelor. When did you guys get married?" He said smiling and shook my hand excitedly.