CHAPTER 1 Paul

HIM

I ARRIVED EARLY FOR OUR event tonight. I parked my motorbike and headed straight to the arena where our summer wear collection will be launched. I saw Lia's name flashing on my phone and answered her call.

"Hey, I am already in the building! I'll just grab some coffee. Will be there in a jiffy!" I ended the call abruptly without even letting her talk. We will see each other in a while so why bother talking on the phone? She probably has some questions about the stage design; I can personally answer her when I get there. It can wait.

For now, I just need another cup of coffee. I immediately showered as soon as I woke up from my nap and rode like crazy to the event. I did not want to catch the afternoon rush hour. I was not able to even say goodbye to my mom who was busy tending to her flowers in the garden.

Yes, you heard that right! I still live with my mom even though I have my own bachelor pad. She doesn't want to live alone in our ancestral home which my dad inherited from his grandfather. We were able to preserve the Spanish architecture aura of the house. My great grandparents are 100% Spanish. They migrated from Barcelona, Spain. They came to love the culture, warmth, and hospitality of the people and decided to stay here in the country.

Since I came from Spanish descent, I have distinct features and I always get teased as a telenovela actor. I have been offered by scouts to do commercials and movies, but I do not have an interest in the entertainment industry. I am a private person, just like my baby sister, Alecx. She was also offered hundreds of times to star in commercials since she was a teenager, but she always declines. Both of us don't want a taste of limelight.

Speaking of that rebel sister of mine, she is the reason why I was left alone to take care of our mom. Alecx suddenly took off and chased her dream abroad as an architect several years ago. Although I was opposed to her decision and I missed her a lot, I didn't take it against her. I still supported her all the way, and I am very proud of all her achievements.

Since Alecx left, Mom became lonely and always calls me to stay with her at home. Hence, I rarely go to my condo unit anymore. I initially wanted to lease it for an additional income, but I eventually decided to keep it, so I still have my own personal space. I can't do my "bachelor stuff" and parade the girls I hook up with in front of my mom. She won't approve of course! I bet she would talk non-stop and scold me to death if she learns about it. I better keep my bachelor secrets for myself.

That's why I was glad when Alecx finally came back. My mom's perusal eyes are not just fixated on me. She stopped matchmaking and doesn't nag me anymore to have a serious relationship because she's now busy annoying my prodigal sister. I am so happy that Alecx came back after several years. The three of us are back in each other's arms again.

We are a closely knit family but the three of us became much closer when my dad and our eldest brother, Vince, passed away in a boating accident when I was just 17 years old. I was forced to grow up fast and became the man of the house. I deemed myself responsible and took care of the two most amazing women in my life. I love them dearly.

Well, enough of reminiscing! I finally saw my favorite coffee shop just around the corner. I badly need it right now as I am still hung over from last night. That's why I took a nap this afternoon, which I rarely do. Our team finished late to prepare for the event, but we still decided to go to the bar afterwards just to unwind.

We have been working on this collection for a couple of months now and tonight, we'll finally see the fruits of our labor. I grabbed two tall caramel macchiatos and started walking to the event area when I passed by our clothing store. The big ad campaign for our summer wear ensemble in the glass display was eye-catching. I am sure the event tonight will be packed.