Part 4 - Gusion's Curse

Day 21...

Me and two of the servants are strolling our way to the front door when it bursts open and a beautiful woman but obviously not in the mood shows up. She stalks pass us in a swift and rude manner, fist balling tight on each side. She wears a purple dress, her wavy golden red hair flowing gracefully behind her.

"Who is she?" I ask while following her every step as she walks straight to the stairs.

"She's Lady Guinevere Baroque, young lady."

"Baroque, I think I heard it before."

"She's his Grace's betrothed-" her response is cut short so I face the two servants.

Then it dawn on me, I must have been too busy planning to survive the world outside that I forgot that Aamon is about to be married.

"I'm alright," I smile because they look so tense. And I know they must thought that blurting the truth would hurt me.

Yes indeed! It hurts me but what can I do?

The two look at me wryly, obviously not convinced.

"You're more beautiful, young lady." One of them speaks while the other nods energetically.

With a beam, I sway my hair out my shoulder. "We are all beautiful in our own ways," I say poetically, while I move to walk forward.

I cannot control the events and people around me, so the best way to live this life is to let them be.

Still, I wish for Aamon to be happy because he deserves it. One day when I look into his eyes again I want to see power, happiness, and love-

"Aamon Paxley!!"

A booming yell, almost makes me jump and the servants have the same reaction. We then look up to the mezzanine and find Guinevere scowling on the other side which we follow, and we gasp seeing Aamon nonchalantly leaning over the railings. He doesn't even look at Guinevere's direction but I'm certain, not just an assumption, that Aamon Paxley is looking at... us.

The servants quickly bow and I have a delay reaction but I still join them.

"We need to go," they whisper.

I then nod, as if on cue we all straighten up and walk away straight to the door.

Outside, in the front yard we saunter quietly to where Carson is, busily doing his art under a big umbrella. We brought him food and treats.

I sit beside him to disturb him for a while by asking questions about his paintings. He pays me no mind and answers it all happily. I really thought he'll push me away for being annoying. Later I get tired of pestering him, so I move to the nearest tree to read a book.

With a sigh, I can't mask my painful curiosity anymore. What is Guinevere doing, yelling at Aamon like that?

She called him by his name and only a few can do that to him. Do they know each other long before this arrange marriage of them?

My heart squeezes tight with all the scenarios in my head.

I let my head fall to my lap where the book about the land of dawn is placed.

Let's forget about it and focus on something more important.

Bringing the book closer, I flip to the page where I slip the bookmark, halfway through the pages. It's interesting how all that I learn sounds so new to me. The abyss, the elves, monsters, orcs, and the leonins. A creatures that have cat ears and tails, I really want to see one of them.

Suddenly my cloudy thoughts are replaced by excitement.

"You lost something?" Gusion comes sitting right next to me.