Part 25 - His Bargain

"Of course, it's not a good thing..." Evrin appears in front of us. "...but who cares if he wants to die early?" His hands then tug both of our arms, forcing Aamon to let go of me.

I breathe out the heaviness I'm feeling. I'm about to reveal myself to him and scold him for goodness sake. But what if I will only make it worse?

"Not unless you do?" Evrin faces me. "...but who are you to care for a stranger?" He raises a brow mockingly.

"It's a question, it's not something for you to overthink." I object.

I need to know the reason first before jumping into action. Befriending Aamon as the Night's Bane might lead me to the cause of his sleepless night.

"Enough of that, we have important matters to do," Aamon interjects while staring at me with his cold gaze.

I then nod in daze.

He then springs onto the nearest balcony up to another until he reaches the pinnacle of the dwelling structure, then he disappears into view.

Leaving me with Evrin-"I need to go."

"How long are you going to wear that mask of yours?" He asks in an odd serious way.

"What do you mean?" I lift a hand to touch my black leather mask.

"Not that one." He frowns. "How long are you going to keep your identity? Y/N."

I hold my breath for a second until I realize that he caught me one night, that Evrin knows who I am. "Until I find peace," I say.

My legs are in position to jump when he places a hand on my shoulder. "Everyone told me that you're dead. Did you really die, Y/N?"

I'm taken aback by his grave tone. Also, it's weird of him to call me by my name. "I did. I kill myself-"

"For him?" His stone face doesn't falter.

"For Gusion." I look down, those memories really bring back sorrow.

"So it's true that Gusion got the kiss mark of a demon, the Paxley's curse."

My brows furrow. "You didn't know about it? You're a Paxley."

"Exiled Paxley," he corrects. "I should've chased you and locked you in the carriage that day."

I stare at him, more confuse than before.

"What I felt for you was true and I still feel it until now, Y/N. Maybe because of the way you..." He leans over close to my neck. "...smell."

A spike of shiver runs through my skin so I push him away, making him stumble backward. "You can't be serious."

He flashes a mischievous grin. "The new Y/N is kinda strong..." he raises his both hands. "...that makes me like you even more. Though I still have the same rival, and it's boring."

He closes in and I take a step back. He's creeping me out for real. "But your Duke has been spending most of his time away from the Castle Aberleen and is rumored to have an affair with one of the whimsical wonders troupe actress. He once joined them traveling to another Castle you know..." He starts to walk while muttering words that are muffled by my shattering heart.

'...Aamon and Mimi will be together in this lifetime!' It feels like I'm being electrocuted after remembering Cici's words.