Chapter 9: 13 Reasons Why (Reasons 1-5)

The TARDIS exits the time vortex as it just floats around in space. The Doctor opens the doors as he shows Clay & Hannah the outside.

The Doctor: Behold!

Clay Jensen: Wow, space.

Hannah Baker: Wow.

Hannah & Clay look out as they see a solar system that isn't part of Earth's solar system.

Clay Jensen: Another solar system.

Hannah Baker: Look at those planets.

Clay Jensen: Hey, Hannah. You never told me why you were going to kill yourself.

Hannah Baker: You're right. It's time I did.

The Doctor closes the doors to the TARDIS.

Hannah Baker: Doctor, do you still have the tapes?

The Doctor: I do.

Hannah Baker: Can you play them for him, please.

Clay Jensen: What tapes?

The Doctor goes up to the bookcases and picks up the shoebox that contained Hannah's tapes. He brings them to the console as Hannah begins to explain to Clay about them.

Hannah Baker: Before I was going to kill myself, I recorded these cassette tapes explaining why I did it. 13 Reasons Why. 7 tapes, 1 reason each side.

Clay Jensen: Like a suicide note?

The Doctor: Prepare yourself, it's not for the faint of heart.

The Doctor insert the first tape as he begins to play it.

Hannah Baker (Tape): Hey, it's Hannah. Hannah Baker. Don't adjust your... whatever device you're hearing this on. It's me, live and in stereo.

Clay takes a seat on the steps by the TARDIS console as Hannah sits right next to him.

Hannah Baker (Tape): No return engagements, no encore, and this time, absolutely no requests. Get a snack. Settle in. Because I'm about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically, why my life ended. And if you're listening to this tape... you're one of the reasons why. I'm not saying which tape brings you into the story. But fear not, if you received this lovely little box, your name will pop up. I promise.

Clay listens on to the first reason, Justin Foley. He hears about the going away party that Hannah threw at her first house for their friend, Kat. She then tells about her date with Justin where they just kissed, that's it, only kissed. Clay remembers what happened next. On their date, Justin took a picture of Hannah sliding down on a slide while wearing a skirt, with her underwear showing.

Clay Jensen: I remember that day. The picture that Bryce spread out from Justin's phone. I passed by them when that happened. I didn't know at the time what they were looking at.

Hannah Baker: You then found out when everyone's phones started going off.

Clay Jensen: And I was a asshole to you at lunch that day.

Hannah Baker: "Sometimes it's better to just wait", that's what you told me.

Clay Jensen: And you said "Excuse me, but you really hurt my feelings.", and I did.