020.

people naturally forget the ones that stood by them in the face of rain and wind.

TRIGGER WARNING!!

this chapter will include scenes of violence. i will be putting warning signs before and after so feel free to skip it if it makes you uncomfortable.

they finally arrived at the roller skating place and like san mentioned, it was beautiful. the place really went for the 80s aesthetic and wooyoung was living for it. the lights above were so pretty and retro-like that it made both boys feel like they were in the 80s, which brought both of their moods up by loads.

"are you still regretting coming with me, young-ah?" san asked as he put on his roller skates on. he saw wooyoung struggling with his and went over to help him, wooyoung smiling a little when san did so.

wooyoung shook his head, "nope. it looks so pretty, san-ah."

san paused in his movement upon hearing the nickname. wooyoung felt the pause and looked down, grinning when he saw the effect the nickname had on san, "did you like me calling you that? san-ah?"

san looked up at the younger and wooyoung's grin only widened when he saw how dark san eyes were, "not here, san-ah."

"you're getting so cheeky lately." san muttered, tightening wooyoung's laces a bit too tightly, pulling a soft yelp out of wooyoung. the two finally finished with their preparation and started going towards the rink where a lot of people were already starting their session. there was a group of friends who held onto the waist of the person in front of them, forming a human chain as they skated around the rink.

wooyoung tugged on san's sleeves, "we could go join them." san thought about it for a while before nodding, them two going as wooyoung went first, holding his hands on the person's waist and san doing the same to wooyoung.

they were having so much fun; so much laughter could be heard and wooyoung even made some new friends. among the many people in the chain, he got the number of theo and keeho — who were also students skipping school — as wooyoung learnt that they were the juniors of one of his friends, intak, in another school.

the couple were now sitting in the bar at the far end of the rolling rink. wooyoung was happily chatting away with felix before he felt san holding his arm quite tightly and urgently. wooyoung turned to look at the older with a frown, "what's wrong?"

wooyoung followed san's line of vision and saw a couple of guys with metal — fucking steel — bats and bars in their hands. wooyoung's frown only deepened when he saw how fixated san looked, "sannie, what's going on? is—is something wrong?"

san shook his head. his gaze was still fixed on the bunch of guys that came in, though, and wooyoung knew that something must be wrong. he ushered theo and keeho to go find somewhere safe to hide while he stayed stuck next to san.

san looked behind him and his eyes blew wide open when he saw wooyoung still behind him, "why the fuck are you here? go hide with theo, with anyone! just get out of here, wooyoung, and-"

"what is going on!" wooyoung yelled, holding onto san's arm. san got tugged back and he looked into the younger's eyes. he sighed, "i swear i'll explain everything, alright? please, sweetheart, just go and i'll be with you in a bit, yeah?"

wooyoung compiled, only because theo was holding onto his hand and tugging him under one of the booth tables as well. wooyoung didn't want to leave san in this mess. how did san get involved in the first place? was san in some kind of gang? or-

"choi fucking san!" the one leading the group yelled, slamming his stick on the floor of the skating ring, "we meet again! say hi to dear daddy for me, will you?"

san sneered, "why the fuck are you here? get lost. i've cut ties with you since i was ten. now get the fuck out."

"are you all seeing and listening to this attitude?" the guy laughed. he pointed the stick to san, dangerously close to san's face, "one more word, little brother, and you're fucking dead."

san chuckled drily. he shoved his hands into his pocket and cocked his head to a side, "you've said that so many times, hyung, i'm starting to question your capability of actually killing me."

wooyoung frowned. san never mentioned having an older brother. was he abandoned? adopted? why was san calling him hyung and him calling san little brother?

"you are a fucking disgrace to the family, choi san." the guy spat, "you know what daddy always wanted for us to be the underground money washer and you—you decided to fuck off and just totally go off the fucking track. it's great that haneul is doing great. but you? you're bad at academics and don't excel in any sports in particular. you should've just joined hyung and help daddy launder his money."

san groaned. even without seeing the front of san's face, wooyoung could tell how frustrated he'd look about right now. "am i a disgrace for realising what's right and what's wrong, hyung? just because i wanna stay on the good side of the law doesn't suddenly mean i'm a disgrace."

the guy hummed. wooyoung still didn't know who he really is, which somewhat bothered him. "'right. enough family reunion. i hope you've been practicing your taekwondo, little brother."

START OF VIOLENCE!!

it came without warning; another guy dashed forward to bash san with his steel bat, and san swiftly dodged it. san grabbed the guy's waist and spun him around, grabbing his steel bat in the process and pushing him into another person's stomach, knocking them both down successfully.

san then gripped onto the railing and hopped onto it, motioning one of the guys to come at him. the guy stupidly listened to him, running towards him and holding out his stick to attack. san easily kicked the guy's chest when he got close enough and jumped off the railing when another guy came for him, swatting the bat at the guy's chest.

san whistled, "you've got to tell me where you got this, hyung. they're hella good."

san's brother — wooyoung assumed — groaned, "what the fuck! actually hit him!"

wooyoung wanted to yell when he saw someone coming for san, but it was too late. san got hit in the head by a guy, san's eyes widening in shock as his ears rung and rung and rung. his eyes caught onto wooyoung, who was looking very concerned about san. san tried his best to smile, reaching a hand up to his forehead and felt liquid filling his fingers instead. blood. they fucking drew blood from him.

the ringing was still overwhelming for san, but wooyoung's face became a point of concentration for him. he gritted his teeth together and gripped the bat in his hand harder, standing back up and facing the small group of guys. san started marching towards his brother and, with his bat in hand, took a stance like a striker in a baseball game and hit as hard as he could to the back of his brother's thigh.

his brother howled in pain, picking up his stick and swinging it at san. san stopped it with his hand before it hit him, blocking it and glaring at his brother.

END OF VIOLENCE!!

"get the fuck out. don't make me ask again, hyung," san scowled, letting go of his brother's stick and watched as his brother and his crew scrambled away from the skating rink.

san turned around, smiling sheepishly at wooyoung as his love ran towards him, his own vision slowly blurring and blurring until darkness hit him.