chapter one

TREVOR SPENGLER WAS NEW IN the small town of Summerville

TREVOR SPENGLER WAS NEW IN the small town of Summerville. After his grandfather unfortunately passed away, the family of three had little-to-no choice on moving into his old house. They were at a loss for money, so to have a sizeable home ready for them to move into was a dream come true. However, the house did come with some repercussions, they just didn't know it yet.

The curly-haired teenager was sitting in the passenger seat of his mother's car, drumming his fingers along the rim of the dusty window whilst waiting for their meal at Spinners Roller Hop. He was bored out of his mind, having nothing else to do except listen to his mom and younger sister converse about how Phoebe could make friends. That was until his tired eyes drifted from his fidgeting fingers to the outside of the vehicle, his pupils landing on an opening door from the building beside the diner.

Athena Warren was walking out of her father's family-owned library with a small smile. Not picking up on the prolonged glance from the boy in the car a few feet away from her, she walked into the retro-styled diner happily, glad to be finished with her slightly boring shift.

"Is Lucky here today?" The gleeful girl asked as she hopped onto one of the barstools infront of her friend, holding up her chin in her palms as Zahk's eyes trailed from one of the customers to her.

"Yeah, she's out serving. She'll be in in a minute," he told her as he mimicked her stance, leaning against the benchtop with his face in his hands. 

"Okay. Thanks, Zahk," she smiled gratefully before noticing his eyes elsewhere.

"Who's that?" The boy in uniform questioned curiously as he pointed outside. The fluffy-haired girl turned in her seat to look out the front windows of the diner, watching as a boy struggled to walk through the many cars parked outside and dodge the workers skating around the cement. Her eyes slightly widened as she took in the unfamiliar teen before she caught herself, replacing her surprise with a light smile.

"A new guy, maybe?" She suggested as she laughed at him weaving through the constantly moving people, turning around to face her long-time friend. He hummed before pushing himself away from the counter, tapping his fingers against the bench before shooting her a wink.

"Looks like he's got the hots for you," Zahk teased before he walked back to the kitchen towards Rufus. Athena's eyes widened for the second time in the restaurant whilst she spun around in her seat again, turning to see him opening the glass door. The raven-haired boy looked at her with slightly flushed cheeks and a smile, her smiling back before looking towards the bench with fiddling fingers.

"Is- Is this place hiring?" He questioned once he approached her, pointing a thumb back to the sign out the front as she looked up. She raised her brows once acknowledging that he was actually talking to her before hesitantly nodding.

"I think so, I can ask if you want?" She offered kindly as he sat down on the barstool beside her. 

"You don't work here?" He subtly frowned. He didn't know why he had hoped she did, or even thought she did, but finding out she in fact worked elsewhere or nowhere at all made his smile drop.