chapter seventeen

UPON ATHENA'S REQUEST, THE QUARTET made their way towards Spinners to find a way to get Gary back, along with solving the whole mystery surrounding his abduction and the ghosts haunting Summerville

UPON ATHENA'S REQUEST, THE QUARTET made their way towards Spinners to find a way to get Gary back, along with solving the whole mystery surrounding his abduction and the ghosts haunting Summerville. Alongside that, she wanted to thank Lucky for what she'd tried to do the day beforehand, attempting to save her from her mother's wrath. Although it proved to be useless, the girl was thankful nonetheless.

Lucky walked up to greet them all as they walked through the front door, waving as she rounded the counter surrounded by retro-styled barstools. Athena immediately ran forward, pulling her friend into a hug whilst profusely muttering her gratitude.

"Thank you, Luck. Thank you so much," she told the curly-haired girl as Trevor and Phoebe found a table, Podcast running in not far behind her.

"Babe, it's no big deal," Lucky laughed as she pulled away.

"I know. I know." Athena tucked her frizzy hair behind her ear with a smile on her face.

Lucky had to work, which left Athena to casually gravitate towards the group of people in the booth against the window. She waved to Zach and Rufus who were stood in the kitchen, the two boys imitating kissing in her direction before she flipped them off as she walked by.

"Okay, so what exactly is happening with the map?" Trevor asked as Athena slid into the seat beside her, sparing the girl a glance as his sister unraveled the sheet on the table.

"See the concentric circles around the mountain?" Phoebe asked the three teens as she peered at them through her dirty glasses, pushing a loose curl behind her head as Athena and Trevor looked over the paper before them.

"Yes," Athena nodded. Trevor shook his head beside her with furrowed brows. "The circles, Trev," Athena panned. He only looked at her with confusion.

"See the circles?" Phoebe pointed at the drawings on the map after sharing a subtle eyeroll with Athena.

"Yes," he finally mumbled, crossing his arms as he shrank back in his seat with embarrassment.

"Something is happening inside that old mine," Phoebe stated after peeling her amused eyes away from her brother.

"I figured," Athena whispered beneath her breath.

"I did some digging on the name you guys heard on the mountain, Gozer," Phoebe started as she leant against the table, elbows pressed against the cold wood. 

"What a weird name," Trevor whispered across to Athena, ducking her head to speak into her ear as she her eyes widened.

"I know, right?" She agreed with a nod, him shrugging back at her.

"Gozer was a Samarian god who once walked among the living," Phoebe explained quietly, her eyes darting between the other citizens of their small town who were peacefully eating their meals around the diner.

"Oh shit," Trevor and Athena shared as they sent each other a worried look, their hands finding each other beneath the table.

"I think it wants back," Podcast told them as he nodded to himself in confirmation.

"Who would want to come back here? I mean, look at this place," Athena scoffed whilst gesturing to the street outside the window, furrowing her brows at the almost deserted town.

"Hey, this place has feelings, you know?" Podcast defended as he slammed his hands flat on the table, everyone else jumping away from him at his sudden argument.

"I don't care if this place has feelings, because I value our lives over the emotions of some small town," Athena fought back whilst Phoebe pushed her glasses back up her nose as she tried to hide her grin. Podcast backed away with raised hands as Trevor smirked, letting go of the girl's hand to sneakily give her a high five away from the younger teenagers' view.

"What does the name Ivo Shandor mean to you guys?" Phoebe asked after she'd cleared her throat, taking the attention off Athena and Podcast to focus back on the more important matters.

"Shandor? He built this place. His name is on everything. It's even on my family's library, and it isn't even his!" The Warren girl complained with a frown.

"How disrespectful," Trevor mumbled towards the girl, shaking his head with disbelief.

"In New York, he created an apartment building made out of selenium girders, mined from right here. On that same rooftop is where out grandfather fought to keep a horde of ghosts from entering our dimension," Phoebe wrapped up with a nervous glance in Podcast's direction. Athena and Trevor shared a look on the other side of the table, a mix of confusion and anxiety evidently floating between their gaze.

"Phoebe, what exactly is happening here?" Trevor asked as he leant forward, pressing his cold palms against the table.

"I don't know, but if we go to the mine elev-" the younger girl started to suggest.

"No, No way." Athena stood up from her seat with wild eyes. "We could have died last time, so what if that happens again?"