chapter twenty-two

THE SOMEHOW MANAGED TO MAKE to make it back to the farmhouse - the Spenglers' home

THE SOMEHOW MANAGED TO MAKE to make it back to the farmhouse - the Spenglers' home. As soon as Trevor parked the car, everyone got into position. Callie, who had recently woken up with a fright, and Phoebe walked towards the front porch, whilst Trevor climbed into the back with Podcast. Athena just stood outside the open door, looking up at the glowing sky as dozens of colorful beams flew around in the air.

"Here, take this," Trevor said as he climbed out of the back with one of the packs.

"Oh, thanks," she muttered as he swung it around her shoulders, helping loosen it by sliding a few of his fingers between her shoulder blades and the tightened straps.

"You know, just incase," Trevor mumbled as he stepped back, letting the girl swivel around as she finished adjusting the large proton pack.

"Yeah, just incase," she repeated, mainly to herself, whilst she took a deep breath. She didn't need to admit it, she looked and felt nervous. She was terrified that Gozer would find her again, but do something even worse. If the pack didn't work, she was screwed. 

"Yell out if you get that . . . feeling, okay?" Trevor told her as he climbed into the back of the vehicle again, sitting on the edge whilst his legs dangled out the side. 

"Yes sir," she saluted with a goofy smile before cautiously walking away, trying to forget about her worries as she slowly stepped away from the car. With a sigh, Trevor shut the door behind him and picked up a pack of his own. He was too busy at first to notice the supernatural being walking through the surrounding fields, but Athena noticed straight away.

The girl quickly looked down at the ground once she realized who was peaking out of the fields: Gozer. She hadn't been noticed yet, thankfully, but Phoebe and her mum had.

The young girl held out the trap and told her mum to flick the lever, which all worked well, but not well enough. Trevor was supposed to fire his pack at Gozer, but once he swung out of the car and held it up, he realized it didn't work. There were too many mini marshmallows who'd eaten away at all the packs.

"Come on, what are you waiting for?" Podcast shouted angrily from the safety of the back of the car.

"I'm waiting for this thing to work; it's not working!" Trevor screamed back with worry. Hurriedly, as a last minute decision, Athena reached back and drew out her gun. Trevor saw her as soon as her hand had begun to inch upward.

"Athena, don't!" Trevor shouted, but he knew she wouldn't listen. He knew her too well.

She glanced at him with a small smile before firing up the weapon, watching the leash of red and blue wrap around the god in the distance. Gozer instantly looked over to the girl as she stumbled back with surprise, her frown morphing into a smirk as she recognized the guilty culprit. With a hand in the air, she sent a jolt from the girl's stomach to the girl's head, causing her to squeeze her eyes shut as she tilted her head to the ground. That meant she didn't see Gozer's white arm snaking around her makeshift rope.