chapter twenty

PHOEBE LED THE SMALL GROUP down to an underground basement, the four teens sliding down a pole before appearing in the enclosed, secret room

PHOEBE LED THE SMALL GROUP down to an underground basement, the four teens sliding down a pole before appearing in the enclosed, secret room. Before Athena could explore, however, she had to turn around and help Trevor catch his balance, as he landed on the side of his ankle. With a muttered thanks, the pair made their way towards the two younger teens across the room, taking an official Ghostbusters' suit from the Phoebe's outstretched hands.

"This is what he's been working on all these years," Phoebe mumbled beneath her breath as she glanced over a model of the small town, the other three teens moving over to her after managing to slide the khaki suits on.

"What? Building this model," Trevor scoffed, earning a light nudge from the girl beside him with a disapproving look.

"You couldn't make that," Athena argued as she leaned against the walls of the model, darting her eyes away from the boy to inspect the deceased man's creation further.

"I could so," Trevor retorted with crossed arms.

"Guys! He came to finish what the original ghostbusters started," Phoebe explained after clapping her hands infront of the two elder teenagers' faces. "To trap Gozer."

"Out on the dirt field," Trevor continued with his mouth parted in surprise. He'd actually caught onto something without his sister having to explain it.

"Exactly, those big silos act as a capacitor," Phoebe nodded with a smile full of pride, pointing to the silos on the miniature model by the farmhouse. Trevor leaned closer, fidgeting with different parts of the model, until it let out a spark. He jumped back immediately, one hand moving to rest on Athena's forearm out of instinct.

"Quit playing with it, Trevor. You'll break it," Athena mumbled beneath her breath, letting a smile break through as she shared a look with the boy.

"What's a capacitor?" Trevor asked after looking away from the smiling girl, staring down at his sister from across the board.

"Would it kill you to read?" She snapped, sick of his - what she thought were stupid - questions.

"Would it kill you to tell me?" He fired back with arms thrown wide to portray his annoyance. Athena sighed before reaching out, grabbing one of his hands and pulling it back down to his side with their fingers intertwined.

"She has a point, you know. You basically spend all day in a library anyway," Athena countered as he slowly lowered his other hand from across the Summerville model.

"Yeah, but that's not to read, that's to be with you," he told her nonchalantly before turning back to his sister and Podcast. He left her flustered, staring at his side profile with wide eyes before flicking her sight to the ground. She was falling into a deep, deep hole, but unbeknownst to her, he was too.

"Once activated, the towers can hold charge for a moment. In that one moment, they can power hundreds of traps," Phoebe explained, only after she'd made a point to roll her eyes at her brother, who merely shrugged in response. 

"But how are we supposed to get Gozer to come here? There's nothing special about this farm," Athena asked her, eyes gazing over the three people crowded around the model board. 

"Gozer's protected by two evil spirits," Phoebe explained to them all, sight never focusing in on one person.

"The Key Master and the Gate Keeper," Podcast continued with a nod in the girl's direction.

"She needs both of them. No Gate Keeper, no Gozer," Phoebe concluded, holding her hands out to mimic both entities.

"But these spirits must posses human souls," Podcast mentioned, eyebrows raised as he let out a sigh of defeat. That was the twist, it had to be humans.

"Callie and Gary," Athena gathered worriedly, looking between the other three teens frantically. "We need to help them. We need to do something!"

"But how?" Trevor asked with furrowed brows, eyes settling on the worried girl beside him. He squeezed their conjoined hands, rubbing his thumb along the back of her palm as she sent him a forced, yet thankful smile.

"We need them to meet . . . formally," Phoebe explained uncomfortably, ducking her head as she cringed with disgust.

"Oh gosh," Athena murmured as she squeezed her eyes shut.

"What?" Trevor queried cluelessly, out of the loop once again. He looked between the two girls, one looking down and one looking away.

"You don't wanna know," Athena answered with a shake of her head.

"Well, we better get going," Podcast muttered before him and Phoebe made their way out of the basement, out of sight from the two elder teenagers.

"You feeling any better? The truth this time," Trevor asked the girl before she walked away, tugging on her hand still holding his as she spun on her spot with a soft smile.

"Better, but not 100% better," she admitted, getting a grin in response. Although she wasn't fully back to her loving and attentive self, she was getting there. That's all Trevor needed to hear. 

"That's good," he nodded thankfully. "Tell me if it starts hurting again, alright?"

"I will," she told him.

"Promise?" He asked, brows raised as his smile settled down across his lips.

"Promise," she stated, letting go of his hand to link their pinkies.

"Seal it with a kiss?" He joked as he wiggled his eyebrows. Surprisingly, the girl leaned up, placing one soft hand on his cheek whilst her lips made contact with the other.

"Sealed it with a kiss," she whispered before pulling away, watching as a searing blush ignited across his cheeks. She turned around and started to walk towards the exit, but stopped upon noticing a missing presence behind her. Trevor hadn't moved. "Come on, Trevor. I'll drive away without you."

"No way, you are not driving my car!" He shouted as he shook himself out of his frozen state, running after her as she took off in a sprint.