Chapter 4

(5 years later)
Emily's pov
Today would be my first shift in Chicago, I had decided that I would move back to Chicago after 5 years of living in New York.
I had been here in Chicago for a little bit over a week, because I wanted to move in to my house before I start to working.

It was 6am in the morning and my shift starts at 7.30am, I was in my kitchen and had just make some coffee for me. I couldn't eat now in until morning because I was to nervous to eat. In New York I have worked at two firehouses for those 5 years, but this time means new city, new firehouse and new people to work with.

I went upstairs to wake up my 4 year old son, I was going to take him to kindergarten before my shift starts.
When I came in to his bedroom I saw he was fast asleep, but I needed to wake him up.

Emily - Jamie, Jamie time to wake up sleepyhead!

I saw his eyes opened up really slow, but I saw a big smile on his face when he saw me.

Emily - hey buddy!

Jamie - hey, momma!

Emily - are you excited for your first day at the new kindergarten?

Jamie - I'm scared mommy!

I took a seat at his bed and hugged him.

Emily - you are going to have new friends, who is going to love you. And uncle Lucas will pick you in the afternoon, and then tomorrow morning I will pick you up at uncle Lucas house!

I saw he just nodded his head, I picked him up and started to help him get some new clothes and get dressed.

It was time for Jamie's breakfast, he wanted just some cereal and orange juice. When he was eating, and I was packing his backpack so he had everything.

The time was now 6.45 so I was on my way to leave Jamie at kindergarten.
I had drive for almost 15 min, then I was outside of kindergarten. I got out from my car, and went to the other side of my car to get Jamie out from his car seat.
He got out from his car seat and we walked up to the door. I opened for him and we both walked in.
A woman who was working there came up to me.

Woman - hello, my name is Emma!

Emily - hey, my name is Emily and this is my son Jamie!

Emma - Jamie Scott?

Emily - yes!

Emma - welcome to your first day at kindergarten.

I took off Jamie's jacket and shoes, I gave his backpack to Emma who would help him.
I took a seat on my knees in front of Jamie.

Emily - I will see you tomorrow morning, okay buddy?

He just now his head.

Emily - come here!

I gave him a big hug before I left.

Emily - I love you!

Jamie - love you too mommy!

I saw how he went with Emma, so I knew he was in good hands. So I could leave and start my first day at a new firehouse.

The firehouse was 10min from kindergarten.
When I came to the firehouse I parked my car and got straight up to apparatus floor where truck, squad, engine and Ambo was standing.

I saw a blond woman standing by the Ambo, so I walked up to the woman.

Emily - hey, are you Leslie Shay?

I saw the woman turned around and she had a smile on her face.

Shay - yes that's me! Are you the new PIC?