Chapter 48

General's pov
Later the same day as the accident happen with Shay and Emily. They are both okay, but Emily needs to be at the hospital for a couple of days until she can get discharged.

Casey is going to be at the hospital with Emily and sleep there since it is also her birthday and he don't want to leave her alone. And Severide is still going to have Jamie, so he can have some fun and Severide really wanted it.

Casey left lakeshore because there was something he wanted to get at the house, and he was going to pick up some food for him and Emily. Because Emily didn't want to eat hospital food on her birthday

It was around 5pm, and a nurse was just in Emily's room to give her some pain killer again. She was thinking in the meantime that Matt was away, she could get a nap since the pain in her head is getting away thanks to the pain killers.

Matt's pov
I had been at the house to get something and I had been at Severide's place to give Jamie something that he had forgot at home.

That thing that I left to get at our house is a birthday present to Emily but also one more thing.

I was on my way to pick up some food for me and Emily, and she wanted Italian food. And since it is her birthday I let her choose what to eat.

I had just picked up the food and was on my way back to lakeside. I had been driving for 20 minutes because of the traffic and I was in the parking lot outside of lakeshore.

I took the paper bag with the food and another bag with Emily's present and another thing in it. I walked inside to lakeshore and up to the floor where Emily's room is.

I came up to her room and gave her the food, she was sitting on the bed eating her pasta and I was sitting on the chair next to the bed.

We had eaten up the food that I bought and now it was time for me to giver her the birthday present.

Emily - what is this?

Matt - it's your birthday present!

Emily - you didn't need to give me a present.

Matt - I know, but I wanted!

She started to open her present, it was a box with two things in it.
She took up a red dress and I could see a smile on her face, that dress reminded me a little about the red dress she had when I first met her.

Emily - thanks I love it!

Matt - there is one more thing!

There was a small box, she took it up and opened it to see earrings.

Emily - how did you know that I wanted those?

Matt - both shay and Payton told me about it.

Emily - I love it, and I love you thanks!

Matt - I love you too.

We shared a kiss, and she moved to the side of the bed to let me lay down next to her.

Emily's pov
Matt and I have been laying in the hospital bed together for a couple of hours, we where just watching a movie on the tv in my hospital room.
Even after what have happened today, it was still a good birthday. I got to celebrate it with Matt  and have some alone time with him, but I was missing Jamie and I didn't know if he knew what had happened.

Emily - Matt, does Jamie know what have happened?

Matt - no, we didn't want to tell him and worry him.

Emily - okay!

We stopped talking, and I was starting to think about what happens a couple of weeks ago, when Matt was acting strange. And I don't know if I should ask him about it or just let it go.

But of course, for me it is hard to let things go. And what is the worst thing that can happen if I just ask him.

Emily - you remember a couple of weeks ago and you where acting strange!

Matt - what?

Emily - you know what I mean.

Matt - fine, but I can't tell you!

Emily - why?

Matt - trust me, you will find out.

Emily - okay!

I didn't know what to think, but then he told me that I would find out about it. And maybe it's nothing bad, and I do trust Matt with all my heart.

Matt's pov
It was around 9pm, Emily and I was still laying in her hospital bed. And a doctor and a nurse have bee in in to the room and checked her out for the last time of today.

I was thinking about, what I had planned for us and that didn't really happen. But I'm glad to have Emily alive, but I still wanted to have a birthday dinner out on a restaurant with her.

And the hole point of us going out on dinner, was that I had planned to propose.
The thing is with Emily, she is not that kind of girl who wants a big proposal with a lot of attention.
So maybe this was my time to do it, it's not romantic but she is the love of my life and I'm just glad that she is okay and alive.

I got up from the hospital bed, and went to my jacket that was hanging on the wall. And in one of my pockets I have the engagement ring for her.

Emily - what are you doing?

Matt - just wait!

I took out the black box from my pocket and walked over to where Emily was laying on the bed.

Matt - Emily, you are the most amazing woman that I have ever meet. From the first moment I saw you I knew that I was falling in love with you, and those feelings never left when you left and came back.
You are the strongest, kindest and you are just the perfect woman for me and the best mother to Jamie.

I got down on one knee, and I could see she was in chock.

Matt - Emily Scott, Will You Marry Me?

I saw tears in her eyes that rolled down her cheek.

Emily - yes, yes and yes!

I got up again, I took her hand and placed the ring on her finger. I gave her a kiss on to her lips and she gave me one in return.
We pulled away and we looked in each other's eyes, and I could just feel how happy I was. That I will finally marry the love of my life and the mother of my child.

Matt - I love you so much!

Emily - I love you too so much!

I was up in the bed next to Emily, and we where just laying there and cuddling and I could stop looking at her. And I noticed that she couldn't keep her eyes of the ring on her finger.

 And I noticed that she couldn't keep her eyes of the ring on her finger